Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extreme Snowatcher

Awesome.
    Winter is here!

Extreme Snowatcher

Day 7 - One of my favourite National Parks of all time - Bryce Canyon. We stayed at Ruby's Inn the previous evening. It's the closest motel to the park entrance - not that that really matters but the services there are good. They have 3 month waiting lists here in the summer.

Anyway suffice to say this place is magnificent in its scenery, what you can experience in a short time compared to say the Grand Canyon, where generally in winter all you can do is walk along the rim. At Bryce you can still get right down amongst the hoodoos, which are the tall pillar like formations that dot the area, go through mini gorges and get a real feel for the place.

I managed to force myself up just after sunrise to get the morning glow across the ampitheatre.

Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Headed back for breakfast and organised the family for the hike into the canyon. We started off at Sunset point on the Navajo loop trail, which joins to the Queens Garden trail, which ends at Sunrise point. We completed that with all kids in tow in around 4 hours.

Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

About to head down here. Snowy up top and the trails weren't too icy as the snow hadn't been compacted too much. There was a bit of mud in places, which was more slippery than the snow.

Descending through one of the deep gorge like areas. Fairly steep. I remember falling flat on my .... through here many years ago on a steep snowy section.

+1 and Missy Moo sitting warm and comfy in her Macpac Possum backpack.

Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

My kids love to slide on anything remotely hilly. Every opportunity they tried. No they aren't Norwegian. Here Jasper and Caitlin are contemplating what is higher up this small slope. They had already tried it several times.

The Chunky expedition shot.

More scenery with the bluebird sky - it was perfect weather.

Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Ascending up to the canyon rim.

Sigh, I wish we could have spent more time here. Off to Salina for the night about 2.5 hours drive away.
    Do it the snow way!

nice chunky, I love Bryce and Zion. Only seen them in summer though! Can you just fast forward to some Steamboat pics pleeeaaassseeeee [img]graemlins/cold.gif[/img]

Xena

Great work! Keep giving us 'Chunks' of information every so often!

bdenny4

WOW Chunky those shots are awesome.
    I have only been to those parks in the height of summer just like SC but they look so much prettier in winter.
    Great trip so far.... envious

Extreme Snowatcher

Do it the snow way!

Snowatch Patroller

any snow at Steamboat recently Chunky?
    Whatever!

Extreme Snowatcher

No :( Expecting snow showers on and off over the next couple of days but nothing big like what is happening in California atm. I will get some snow pics up of here very soon.
    Do it the snow way!

Snowatch Patroller

thats OK don't panic, I've seen 8" predictions turn into 20"+ at Steamboat
    Whatever!

Snowatch Patroller

and what they describe as "snow showers" are not what we usually relate to snow showers
    Whatever!

when were you at Steamboat Polly? [img]graemlins/cold.gif[/img]

Extreme Snowatcher

An update tonight my time I promise.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Day 8 - we slept in and didn't leave Salina until mid-morning so our expected day in Arches NP sort of became an afternoon only.

The drive along I-70 has some amazing vistas through the Utah desert.

One of the many arches you can see in the park.

In the Devil's Garden area of Arches my friend climbed up a small but steep formation to say goodbye to the afternoon sun. Some young American lads came along and one tried to copy him. He got to the top but then he couldn't work out how to get down and he felt like being sick until my friend came to the rescue to bring him down.

Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Day 9 - we stayed the night at Grand Junction and headed up early along the I-70 to Wolcott and then headed north towards Steamboat via Yampa. A very pretty drive.

We stayed at The Trails at Storm Meadowns - a ski in ski out condo along the Right-o-way run. The access trail was right outside our place so it was very convenient to get to and from the slopes. For the littlies the free bus stopped right outside our complex.

Caitlin showing off where we were.

The view from our balcony across to the slopes. Our place was more like a multi-story town house and not in a building of units, which you can see to the left in this photo.

We had arrived after some fresh snowfalls and had some wonderful bluebird days.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

And Polaris no snowfalls while we were here - nothing significant anyway. There is supposed to be some good stuff coming our way. Even the Grand Canyon area is getting lots. Flagstaff are expecting about 8-16 inches. Up above Heber City, where we are atm it has snowed about 3 inches in the last few hours. Friend has skyped me from Daniel's lodge, where we are off to tomorrow.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

The skiing was great all week though the snow was getting hardpacked by Thursday. There was no icy bits to worry about and the upper 2/3 of the mtn were excellent - well even the bottom half was but you did notice how much drier the snow was up top.

About to ski down Lower Vally View - a not so difficult black run leading down towards the base. Ah the views...

Looking back up Heavenly Daze in the opposite direction to the one just before.

A not so close up of a gumby Chunky heading down the Vagabond run.

What a nice way to finish the day - our hot tub back at our place.

We all took turns making snow angels. you can see some garbled ones behind Jasper as he makes a run back from one.

Do it the snow way!