Intermediate Snowatcher

hi all,
    i'll be heading to the snow in july, and pretty much my first time snowboarding.
    i wanted to know how i can attach my camera (just a regular size - not a camcorder) to somewhere on me safely so it doesnt fall while going down hill.
    when i used to ski i just held it in my hands while going down, but now since i am a snowboard beginner it'll be too hard to co-ordinate the camera and the board at the same time :(
    any tips? e.g. how can i attach it to my pants (front leg), or to the top of the snowboard? i dont have an helmet but otherwise i guess i could put it on my head if there is a secure way to do it
    Sun sun go away!Let the snowmake its way!!!!

karen97

Ask Spaz

Advanced Snowatcher

Talk to Spaz he sells and rents head cams they are amazing
    Every snow flake is a miracle, lets not wast them.

Intermediate Snowatcher

just had a look at his website, although the head cam looks amazing (its so tiny!!) unfortunately its a bit too expensive for me,
    i was more hoping to use my own camera with some sort of duct tape (i know the quality will be a lot worse but o well) and wrap that around my legs, and i was hoping if any other people have other ideas

[size="1"][ 24. May 2009, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Snowmunch ][/size]

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

What resort are you going to Snowmunch?

Your right in wanting to attach your camera to your body as it takes very good boarding skills to video at the same time using hand held.

Taping a camera to your head will add a lot of weight to it and you are likely to end up with a stiff sore neck or worse. On your leg you wont get much watchable footage. I wish I could tell you of a way to use your camera effectively but on a board it can only be done hand held or head mounted. And while learning only head mounted.

Are you going on your own? If not split the cost, hire for 24 hours, between 4 of you it's close to a round of drinks each.

There is a snowatchers discount! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

I just thought;

You could mount it on the shoulder strap of a backpack. Again you wouldn't want to fall on it and whack your head. Maybe to your left arm if your natural, right if goofy.

I think my HeadCam is the only way, If your really strapped for cash I might be able to work out an hourly rate for you.

Extreme Snowatcher

Snowmuch by his own account is a complete novice on a snowboard. He should not be strapping stuff to himself until he has some skills on the board. It is a breakage (either the camera of himself) waiting to happen.
    How many days till it snows again?

Intermediate Snowatcher

i am heading to perisher
    and thanks spaz, but i'll be wanting freedom with my camera, i.e. just use it when ever during the week, rather than having a set 3-4 hrs using the head cam.
    in a few years time i might just buy a head cam rather than rent (once i leave uni and get a full time job )
    Bear: i got an olympus camera so shock proof snow proof etc (obviously there is a limit [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

but on the main point, you guys are probably right as it'll be difficult to worry about the camera all the time while trying to learn how to board.
    i think for now the bag strap idea sound good, also i have this ipod arm strap which secures on quite well, so might consider that as an option [img]smile.gif[/img]

Camoman

With the strap to shoulder idea, I tried that last year and it didn't work out to well. Too hard to make it point the way you want it to and keep a steady frame.

I found holding it was the best (however I ski) followed by the head mount with a realy tight hat since I dont wear a helmet.

foxpuppet

got a website spaz?

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries