Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Podlettte

what bear is also saying without typing it is this type of plant is patented by the glyphosate producer, in his example, that's Monsanto, so it's even more of a rort IMO!

Extreme Snowatcher

HelsSA traditional (or "unimproved") plants are able to produce viable seed. This is the way agricultural practices have gone on for millennia. The new "super" plants the have been tweeked to grow faster produce more food and grow in areas normally unsuited to crops are the ones that are sterile and you have to go back to the Ag company to get seed for the next years crop.

I hope you didn't submit the above as an answer to your studies as it would get an F from me. :(
    How many days till it snows again?

Glad i'm doing early childhood and not science then Bear. Maybe you need to chat with the lecturers at my uni about the information they supply us with. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Extreme Snowatcher

Sorry can't help you, it is Adelaide after all. [img]graemlins/outtahere.gif[/img]

Advanced Snowatcher

There are several tetraploid grass specise I can think of.

bt you said triploid.

If this is any help http://www.cropmark.co.nz/downloads/...id_Grasses.pdf

On the triploid side http://www.hortnet.co.nz/publication...y/seedless.htm

[size="1"][ 11. May 2009, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Ben Ferg ][/size]
    grass skiing anyone?

Extreme Snowatcher

Triploid BF not Tetraploid. It's all in the numbers, Tetraploid is a fertile plant a triploid hybrid is sterile.

Podlettte

that link for triploids Ben Ferg posted has a great example as an alternate to round up ready type crops.

seedless citrus, seedless watermelon etc. huge value in that! think of anything you eat that you'd like seedless and apply the technology

Advanced Snowatcher

Originally posted by Bear:
    Triploid BF not Tetraploid. It's all in the numbers, Tetraploid is a fertile plant a triploid hybrid is sterile.
    I was giving two options, just in case you ozzies & us kiwis were having an accent issue [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm a farmer & I have no time for roundup ready crops, don't like GE on that level at all but I realise that it has it's place.

It's amazing the info that's out there on these topics, all you need is for someone to make you do a search.

[size="1"][ 12. May 2009, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Ben Ferg ][/size]
    grass skiing anyone?