Thread: South America

mic2229

Im going to South America in August and intend on doing some snowboarding in Chile and Argentina. Has anyone done it before?

If so any advice and/or tips would be great. I've done a bit of research already but the more info the better. ATM just trying to sort out how to get up to the mountains and accomm.

PS. Im travelling budget style.

Pini Pow Pow

This is from my post on the other 'South America' thread...

...Valle Nevada is possible as a day trip from Santiago. I stayed at 'La Casa Roja' in Santiago, a cool hostel run by an aussie dude. They did day trips to Valle Nevada. For Portillo we hired a car in Santiago and drove there. We stayed in their cheapest hotel option which was pretty reasonable and included lift tickets, breaky and dinner...

Hope it helps!

SA

mic2229

Originally posted by Pini Pow Pow:
    This is from my post on the other 'South America' thread...

...Valle Nevada is possible as a day trip from Santiago. I stayed at 'La Casa Roja' in Santiago, a cool hostel run by an aussie dude. They did day trips to Valle Nevada. For Portillo we hired a car in Santiago and drove there. We stayed in their cheapest hotel option which was pretty reasonable and included lift tickets, breaky and dinner...

Hope it helps!
    Ah cheers.

I don't think hiring a car is going be the most cost effective mode of transport for me as im traveling solo. So just have to find out if there are buses up there.

Pini Pow Pow

Mate, hit up La Casa Roja (www.lacasaroja.cl) it is a sick place. I was by myself too, met some cool people and we all hired a car together and did a roady to Portillo... There are buses up there but the road is sketchy as. We had a head on with a truck, but that is another story.

Santiago is also heaps of fun. They have an indoor kicker into a foam pit in the local mall, its free as well. Perfect for nailing some flips.

Valle Nevada BC

mic2229

Sounds sweet, except for the head on though.

nailsem

valle nevado is a day trip (long one) from santiago but well worth it. pretty hairy at times, a huge amount of hair pin turns (signs count them down). slopes are great, and fast

We also went to bariloche in argy, great spot, stayed up the mountain. huge range of runs and good nightlife too and the price was good.

we booked it all through owain at travelplan ski. he and his wife live at bariloche all winter, he also can guide you around the mountain, speak spanish, and generally help out. worthwhile looking him up. we stayed at the punta condor which included breakfast. think there are cheaper options down the mountain, backpackers etc.

enjoy

mic2229

Ah good stuff. ATM im flying into Beunos Aires on Aug 7 and over 3 to 4 weeks going to visit Bariloche, Chapelco, Las Lenas, Valle Nevado and maybe Portillo.

Going to spend most of my time in Arg because its cheaper.

Once I've done that im going to ship my snowboard gear to Vancouver and travel the rest of SA and prob Central America. Then head to Van by mid Nov.

For anyone else that needs info I found this forum the other day which has good info - http://www.tetongravity.com/FORUMS/s...d.php?t=158774

[size="1"][ 10. July 2009, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: mic2229 ][/size]

John Cog

Went through Owain Price at Travelplan too to Catedral via Bariloche. He is a laid back Aussie guy who knows south america very well. Nice convenient town right on the snow, good accommodation options, party options, GREAT steaks in Argi [vegetarians need not apply] Had a great time touring around Argi as well, from Iguazu Falls in the north to the glacier country in the south. Don't expect the efficiency of some places but that is all part of the appeal of the place. Day we arrived there one of the bubbles fell of the main gondola out of the village... hmmmmmmmm. And Catedral is the most advanced ski resort in south america I believe.

mic2229

Well I made it to Argentina. Im in Bariloche at the moment and have had one day boarding at Catedral. Got some fresh runs for an hour then the weather closed in and it has been snowing ever since. In typical Argintine style we waited for an hour in the lift line for them to open at 10.30 (apparently due to internal disputes).

Last night a meter fell at the top so just hanging in the hostel till the weather clears to get some sweet lines [img]graemlins/snowboard2.gif[/img] .