Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    skijacski

You can be turned away at the border, and sent home on the next plane. If your records come up with the passport and the USA systems which have changed, you will be in strife. Safer for you to get the visa than to be sorry and sent back home.

Skijacski is right. I asked what would have happened if I didn't tell them about a particular offence (because when I originally told them, they laughed and said I'm very honest for declaring). They said if they found out, you will be deported and not allowed back in for X years. They said ALWAYS declare things even if they seem stupid (like mud/dirt on your ski boots when landing back in AUS)

Podlettte

I'm all for always declaring things, however would a neg driving ticket/charge qualify to have me turned away at the border? it was 2 years ago

BrumbyJack

What about a speeding fine, more than 2 years old?

Advanced Snowatcher

Originally posted by skijacski:
    You just can't leave to Canada or Mexico and a few other places, I can't find the info. So if you flew to UK, or Europe that is allowed, it is quite cheap too.

This is not a work visa!
    From what you are saying you have to leave the North American continent.

+1 and I got the extended tourist visa ("B-2 visitor visa") allowing us to stay in the US for either 12 months or 5 years - in the end we just chose the 12 month one, although in retrospect we should have got the 5 year one.

Our visa made no mention of having to leave after 6 months and then coming straight back. Theoretically we could have stayed in the USA for the entire 12 months.

There are two parts to the non-immigrant visa fee: the application fee ($120 - pay at any post office - cash only) and the issuance fee.(free for 12 months or around $40 for 5 years)
    (note: prices might have changed since we did it in 2007)

We found the process pretty quick. We basically made an appointment, turned up with all the required paperwork (passports, photo, bank statements to prove we could support ourselves, etc). The interview took like 2 minutes - in the end they didnt even look at 90% of the stuff we bought along. Then again it may depend on who interviews you. Our interview was for 9:30am but they were running late by about an hour (typical embassy stuff i guess!). We gave them our passport and they posted it to us the next day with the visa stamped our passports.........

My driving offence was over 5 years ago and I have to declare this for life. I had to declare this on several gov paperwork, it's such a pain in the *** because I have to get a RTA driving record and JP witness each time !!!

kort - I have the 5 year one, you get a combined B1/B2. It doesn't say anything about 6 months, but it has a R which is restricted, notsure what that means. The fee is $155.65 at the post office and the 5 year issuance fee is $28.50. Both prices are in AUD.

I forgot my bank statements, my car rego papers, evberything! They never asked for it !!! but then again I had 5 interviews about my driving offence! Thankfully it wasn't DUI !! I would have been denied ...... and yes I got mine next day like you kort [img]smile.gif[/img]

Brumby Jack, mine was a speeding fine.

skijacski

Originally posted by Podlettte:
    I'm all for always declaring things, however would a neg driving ticket/charge qualify to have me turned away at the border? it was 2 years ago
    Yes, you need to arrange for a visa now.

skijacski

Originally posted by BrumbyJack:
    What about a speeding fine, more than 2 years old?
    Yes, it is amazing what they will send you back to Australia for.

Podlettte

I emailed the US consulate in sydney and this is the reply I got.

Dear Ms. Podlettte. ,

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

Applicants with any drink-driving charges are advised to apply for a visa and not to use the Visa Waiver Program.

Depending on your individual situation, at the time of your interview you may be referred to a panel physician for evaluation. If this requirement applies to you, you will be supplied with the names and contact details of the panel physician along with a letter explaining the need for this examination.

If you are ineligible to travel under the VWP, you will need to schedule an appointment to apply for a non-immigrant U.S. visa. Please consult the VisaPoint service and FAQ’s found on the link below: http://aus.us-visaservices.com/Forms/default.aspx
    All applicants must appear in person for an interview at the U.S. Consulate General serving their state as listed below. Australian citizens or permanent residents under 14 years of age or over 79 years of age, and applicants for diplomatic and official visas, may not need to appear in person.
    Residents of New South Wales, ACT, and Queensland should apply to the Consulate General in Sydney
    Residents of Victoria, South Australia, Northern Territory, and Tasmania should apply to the Consulate General in Melbourne
    Residents of Western Australia should apply to the Consulate General in Perth
    Applicants must first book an appointment for interview online via our website at http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/niv.html using the "VisaPoint Service" under the heading "Part Three: How do I apply?"
    Kind regards
    AMVISA
    U.S. Consulate General, Sydney
    -CC-
    Note: You should never pay for travel arrangements (e.g., airfare, hotels) without having a visa in your possession. The U.S. Consulate General accepts no responsibility if you do so. We are able to issue most visas within two business days of interview; however, we are unable to guarantee the issuance of a U.S. visa before a fixed travel date. You risk significant financial losses if you ignore this advice.
    So, from their own words it's only if your driving offense is related to drink driving, not any offense.

Podlettte

follow up....

Dear Ms. podlettte.,

I apologize about the confusion of information that was given to you.

Travelers with minor traffic offenses which did not result in an arrest and/or conviction for the offense may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified.
    Kind regards
    AMVISA
    U.S. Consulate General, Sydney
    -CC-
    Note: You should never pay for travel arrangements (e.g., airfare, hotels) without having a visa in your possession. The U.S. Consulate General accepts no responsibility if you do so. We are able to issue most visas within two business days of interview; however, we are unable to guarantee the issuance of a U.S. visa before a fixed travel date. You risk significant financial losses if you ignore this advice.

Podlettte

a driving offense such as mine, bumping into the back of someone is not a criminal conviction, just to be on the safe side I did ring my local police station who thought I was loopy.

Extreme Snowatcher

who thought I was loopy.
    That's ok.

We do too.
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

Podlettte

[img]graemlins/big_laugh.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

a driving offense such as mine, bumping into the back of someone is not a criminal conviction, just to be on the safe side I did ring my local police station who thought I was loopy.
    My offence is only a traffic offence here, but in Canada it's considered a criminal offence, so hmm! better to be safe than sorry Pods

Podlettte

But SJS was talking about the US, not Canada! I know you're going to Canada, but for the US I don't need a non immigrant visa, simple as that, they have confirmed that for me, they being the US consulate in Sydney.

I am waiting for a reply from the Canadian consulate in Sydney regarding a neg driving for me and a speeding offense for someone else.

will post results when I get them, as their website doesn't mention if these are offenses punishable by conviction over there.

skijacski

Pods when you said neg driving, I thought NEG Driving, which you go to court for, but if you do DUI, that is one you need a visa for.

I know of one person who was sent back and had booked a tour! Lost his whole money and insurance does not pay for it as it is up to the individual to check they have the right visas etc.

Always better to be safe than sorry, I get the 5 year visa as it is so much easier and I have never had a traffic ticket or parking ticket only an aeroplane ticket!

I would have thought that if speeding could stop you from getting into either USA or Canada then hardly anyone from OZ would get in

Podlettte

you don't go to court for negligent driving as a rule, only if there is a criminal offense attached to it.

I ran into the back of the car in front, that is negligent driving.

the guy who crashed into the back of me and wrote my car off (seperate incident) was also charged with neg driving, however he was also charged with other stuff due to the accident and taken to court, so his offense is a criminal record, mine isn't.

Advanced Snowatcher

My brother was knocked back on a tourist visa because in their words " being single he was a high risk candidate. And that he might over stay a try to get work."
    Even though he has a house and a mortgage in Aus. And has worked for the same company for 20 years. He was also advised no to appeal in case he was black marked. And then not be able to get a visa if he was sent to the US for training by his employer who happens to be an American based company.
    You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.

Go yeti Go!
    You are gonna come back a rock star!!!

Seriously mate youll have a blast. If you want to travel east at all get in touch. My parents live the T.O. area up north and quite chilled. Lakes in the burbs sort of.