Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    *insert witty comment here*

james

thanks again for your help all esp Taxman at the end. I appreciate how much time you have all given me.

I am hoping to do another 7 or so days this season, maybe 10 days in January, and from then on 14 or so in an Oz season and 10 overseas. So having started 4 years ago and being a solid upper intermediate, I do expect to advance. I don't want an expert level ski, but a ski for someone just advanced (maybe level 8 or so, but I couldn't find that sticky). I ajm trying to change my working arrangements so I can do more exercise (get bugger all done now), so I should spend the next few years around the 85kg mark which is a good fighting weight for me.

A quick comment on those 82mm skis I mentioned that were recommended - I went back and they are 60(groomed)/40(powder) skis, not 70/30. So whoever suggested they are a bit wide for a 70/30 ski is right.

I just spent half an hour at Inski and Paul Readers and had it pretty much narrowed down to two skis I want to demo:

one is the Volkl AC3 - the guy in Readers said for what I describe this is just about the perfect one for me, above all with an excellent edge hold on the hard packed. Also very sturdy for crud and a perfect ski for Australian conditions. For powder no more than mid-shin deep it would be fine too, with the 76mm waist. At my level and starting skiing later in life I don't know that I'd ever ski powder any deeper than that anyway. And if I ever got to that level I could get some powder skis. I'd get the AC3 at 170cms - being a bit stiff I would need the slightly shorter ones for tight turns.

The other one, from the shop across the road, is the Head im78. They are slightly wider across the waist, a slightly smaller radius (14m to 16m) and are slightly softer. So compared to the Volkls, they wouldn't hold quite as good an edge, would be a bit smoother off piste and a bit better in bumps for the short turns.

So the simple solution is to try both and see which ones I like better.

Neither shop had the Stoecklis so if I can go down on 3 more separate occasions this season, I might try to demo the stoecklis from the shop in Jindy behind the bakery you guys told me about.

I had hoped to narrow it to 2-3 and then try before I buy, so I seem to have achieved that and thanks again for all the help.

Looking at the snow reports I am just frustrated I'm not going tomorrow - or there today for that matter. I doubt I'll get down in July at all.

Sticky got unstuck. Its here .
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SA

Gotta love gear geishering!

james - another thing, conventionl wisdom is that edge hold is as much a product of torsional stiffness (how much it resists twisting along the long axis/length of the ski) as much as longitudinal flex.

james

Originally posted by Taxman:
    Sticky got unstuck. Its here .
    thanks taxman. OK I'd be upper 7 I guess so you'd be a bit better but you're right with level and height/weight there are a lot of similarities. Hoping to move up to 8 in the next year or so.

[size="1"][ 09.07.2007, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: james ][/size]

btw... fwiw i reminded myself yesterday about how good the stormrider xl is
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer!

james

It occurred to me I never finished this thread.

Some time in August I did a kamikaze day trip from Sydney to Perisher. Home before 8pm!

Anyway, I demoed some Volkl supersports - at 168cm - and they were just incredible. Not an easy riding recreational ski though. The snow was decent the day I went, still with some very firm bits, but I got much lower and rolled the skis over much further than ever before, and once I got used to the skis throwing me into my next turn, I was just tearing down. I felt like an idiot, but I couldn't wipe the smile off my face at the bottom.

I tried tham at 168 instead of 176 or whatever the next length is, to make it easier on tight turns. Runs like Olympic and Kamikaze are still quite challenging, though gradually getting less so. I do want to work on the shorter turns, steeps and bumps.

I couldn't believe how much better they were than my ones and the guy I skied with (a very good and experienced skier - a solid level 9 on Taxman's scale) said just get them. Don't bother with any others, they are perfect. The owner of the ski shop did warn me I would come back with a grin on my face, and he was right. My mate rides on Head Monsters but said these are the other ski he would buy.

At 70mm they are a bit narrower in the waist than I ideally wanted (the newer Tigersharks are 2mm wider), but we went through some beautiful boot deep powder and they just glided through. My old skis are only 64mm in the waist and it seems to make a difference. I'm sure the Supersports would be fine for powder up to about mid-shin deep, and when am I going to ski powder any deeper than that? If I did, I'd hire some fat skis anyway. The radius is about 14m at this length, so they really whip you round the turn when you roll the skis over and force you to get low.

The skis are not light, but for the hooning and biting down steeper groomed runs - my preferred method of skiing - I do think they are close to unbeatable. The edge hold was so much better than what I am used to on my much softer lower-intermediate skis. I didn't think I'd be a good enough skier to notice the difference (I'm probably just about into early advanced now and maybe out of upper intermediate), but the difference was huge.

The brand new skis sit upright proudly in the corner of our bedroom (not trusting them to the garage and can't fit them anywhere else) and they will get a good workout for 10 days in the 3 Vallees in January.

To say I am looking forward to it is an understatement. One great thing about this website is I can admit my obsession with skiing and not feel out of place.

Good luck all who are skiing in the NH this SH summer and might meet up with a few more of you next Aussie season. I guess I should aim to take some pics in France - not sure about video - and post them all here when I get back. My two older kids are going and will have a whale of a time. We're going to do a full day with them and take them a couple of valleys away and back!

Added to the fact I have just quit my job and am starting on a bit of a career change next year, I just want to get on that plane and head over!

Bye for now.

[size="1"][ 28.11.2007, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: james ][/size]

Awsome james, I know people who own the 5 Star and 6 Star and absolutely rip on them. Its pretty hard to get great rebound out of mid-phat or phat ski and from the sounds of it you're having a lot of fun bouncing from one turn to another.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

james

Yeah - only done the one day on them (well, the demos) so far, but it was such a blast. And should be even better in France. Considering all my skiing so far has been in Australia or France in January, you just can't justify skis with an 80mm waist. You will rarely if ever get powder deeper than 20-30cms. I wanted to try the AC3 (I think it is) with about a 76 or 78mm waist, but whilst they will be a bit better in powder, they don't have the edge hold and tighter carving turns on the Supersports. And let's face it most of our/my skiing will be on grommed runs.

The skis I got had about the best edge hold you can get from what I gather. The edges are built up so much it's amazing - I think they're illegal competition skis. And the heavy ones with the wood core, they just throw you into your next turn. You've got to be concentrating and ready for it, but man was I ripping that day I tried them. I'm still improving, so it felt like a big leap that day. I was going faster, getting lower, rolling the skis over - all much more than before, but felt in total control. It was over at Blue Cow on Zalis and Excelerator - geez they are fun hoon runs and a good length to not stop and not get tired.

The red runs in France - I remember the ones from last time - I am so keen to blast them on these new skis. There are some blue runs too at our resort that have some beautiful steeper pitched bits, snaking down the mountain. First day, I'll hoon down one of them about 3 times then stop for the customary 10:30 1664. Then head over to the other runs. Then onto the other valleys on other days.

I've even started in a fitness group and will be the fittest I have beeen for years. Problem is +1 keeeping up!

Better stop dreaming about it and do some work...

SA

Fantastic. You will love the 3 Valleys. So much to explore!

Have fun on Creux with the Supersports, I think you'll love the rolls in the lower third and might get air!

Where are you basing yourself?

james

Ah, someone who knows the area! this will be fun.

I went two years ago, so know it a bit. We are staying at Val Thorens where a friend has an apartment (so free!!). The lift tickets are so cheap too, it's only the kids' lessons which will cost a bit. But we'll take them with us for one day (we're doing 10) and to Courchevel via Meribel.

Creux is a fantastic and a guide we went with one year actually stacked it at the bottom when it flattened out. Ditto my +1. it's a great hoon with big rolls. I'll see if I get any air!

They have several fun hoon runs over at Courchevel (well, everywhere really). The up to the right from the bottom of Creux - Chanrossa I think - is another good one. And we found one right out at the edge Chapelets or something - which was great too and hardly anyone there. That's over at 1650.

I am looking for a few good black runs there and would love advice. I've been told Suisses isn't too hard. I tried La M last time and it was awful - moguls up to your waist, very firm and very steep. maybe some of you like that. Another that looks good is over the other side, called Dou des Lanches which is over near Loze. There are two others called Jean Blanc and Jockeys, but they are lower and last time wouldn't have been great - if open at all.

When we were there it hadn't snowed much and was very firm. I didn't find Meribel sensational skiing, except I think in good conditions Mont Vallon would be good. It's up the end, closer to VT and abover Mottaret.

We didn't get to La Masse at Les Menuires last time, so we're keen to spend a bit of time there. A half day should be great and they look like some good red and black runs there. There is also a sensation run going from Meribel to Les Menuires called Jerusalem. Sort of like roller coaster, but steeper, longer and with better views. I think I got a bit of air there last time (got a bit keen).

At Val Thorens where we are staying, the skiing is just sensational. I can think of about 6 awesome red/blue hoon runs, although they don't have too many black runs. But it is awesome skiing in that valley alone.

So this time the aim is to explore La Masse at Les Menuires and the Loze part of Courchevel a bit more, plus around Suisses. And generally take on more of the blacks.

How much time have you spent there?

SA

Less than you by the sounds of it!! I went in '04 for a week on one of the packages out of London, then a low-mid intermediate skier. Based in Courchevel so mostly there, with some time in Meribel and only a day in Val Thorens.

Suisse is an easy black. Much harder when ungroomed was Marmottes, it also had moguls past my waist. Have fun on Jean Blanc if conditions are good down lower.

I would go back if I was heading to Europe.

james

Yeah I've never been anywhere else overseas, but it's just so vast.

So Jean Blanc is good fun in decent snow? I'll head over and give it a go. I was a solid upper intermediate when I was there in Jan 2006.

I'll have to report back for when you're there next. Courchevel from what I can gather is outrageously expensive. We made the mistake of going to the most expensive restaurant there. 17 euros for a bowl of chips, 16 euros for a piece of pie. Amazing prices! It's there for rich Russians I think - they had all this beluga caviar there too. I don't mind winding back and having a great dinner, but if you waste too much time eating during the day, you'll fit in less skiing!

SA

It was expensive, you just have to close your eyes and treat euros like they are dollars!

There was a crepe place at the bottom of 1850 which was good and not too expensive for lunch.