Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

I've been asked about rates for weekend accom so I thought I'd point out that ski clubs are worth a look as somewhere affordable over the course of a sking lifetime

Some have members rates from $20 a night to about $50 or $60, or discounts on the public rate.

Some charge +1's and kids the members rates. Some charge more. Some allow a pal in leiu of the +1 at the +1's rate. Some secretly hate little kids. Others are full of kids.

Keep in mind you might have little tackers one day: one club banned kids until age 6, so if the member had several kids 2 years apart, there is 10-12 years of unuseable accom.

Most (if not all) would be a minimum of 2 nights for a weekend. Or 1 night stands are as much as 2 nights.

Some have 'help yourself' pantries with everything except steak and fresh vegies.

Some have maid service and linen and doonas and pillows onm nice beds. Others are byo sleeping bag.

Some offer 2 chef cooked meals a day.

Some are bunk beds in rooms for 2, 4 or 10 people. The older ones can have dorms. Some have communal loos/showers, whereas others offer ensuites.

Some have buy-ins at $1400 + $250 a year annual fees. Some want $7,000 to $15,000 a share. Some are lmited to one mountain, and others have lodges throughout both States, and to Germany, Austria and Japan.

Some have on site lockers for food, skis, clothes so there's no packing and carting suitcases every weekend.

Over the course of a lifetime, club accom can make skiing far more affordable and convenient than staying off mountain, payiung resort entry for day trips, and being wet n cold in a pricey lunch spot.

Anyway, thinking long term, clubs can be more convenient and affordable alternative to off mountain motels.
    The Frog is a Prince

Extreme Snowatcher

Yep club/lodge accom is a great cheap way to stay on the hill.

We often stay at lodges at hotham when doing weekend trips with just a couple of us.
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

details details? ive been searching long and hard and keep getting closed doors or solid bookings!
    mmmmm powder

Advanced Snowatcher

We used to stay at a club lodge at Hotham all the time..... all changed when we had the bubs though.

have used a club lodge in Jindy too over the last few years great value $17/night
    No such word as can't, I can do whatever the hell I like !!!!

Extreme Snowatcher

Originally posted by mammoth junkie:
    details details? ive been searching long and hard and keep getting closed doors or solid bookings!
    Which mountain are you looking at?
    And are you looking for a membership or just to stay a couple of nights?
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

Cordy

Memberships are always hard to get... When one becomes avaliable it is often given to a friend or child of a member. They can be quite expensive too. I agree with Vet though if you get the chance become a member of a ski club and have the cash for the initial joining fee it is certainly well worth it, as long as you don't mind sharing facilities, or if no rooms are available, a room. For me the locker is the most valuable asset there as it means i can leave at a moments notice straight from work in the arvo when it snows and at the very least all my stuff is down there, even if there is no room for me to stay in the lodge :-P

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Mammoth, I assume you're not a member of a club.

You'll find members get first bite of the cherry. Usually they pre-pay in early 09 for July and August so the public can't find beds (even at the public rate of, often, $100+ a bunk a night).

I'd suggest you ask around and door knock managers. There's so many variations on entry criteria, fees, buy in prices, availability, mates rates for +1 or not, bunks vs private rooms, ensuite vs loo in the hall, etc.

[size="1"][ 24. June 2009, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Vet ][/size]
    The Frog is a Prince