Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL 2009 Thread

Advanced Snowatcher

Go u Hawks!
    If swimmings good for your figure, explain whales to me

hakenspit

Originally posted by Boardingbuny:
    Go u Hawks!
    You know we threw last years gf solely to get crawford to retire dont you bb?

We will be back to claim the silverware this year...matching cups

Advanced Snowatcher

O of course of course.. ..

No skill there... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Snowatch Owner & Snow Forecastor
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Polaris:
    Maybe we should ask the League followers what season their opening game of the season got a crowd of 90,000................

Actually I will answer for them........

NEVER!!!!!
    League people prefer to stay at home and watch on tv and acutally have heaps more viewers than the AFL. Just look at Foxtels stats from last year. 8 out of their top 10 most watched programs were league games. AFL people like to don ugly stripey sleeveless jumpers, beanies and scarves in public.
    Follow the Snow! snowatch.com.au

popshuvit

Here Here Frog.. plus the league grounds are a fair bit smaller than AFL grounds & when you go you can actually see the game being played, rather than having to rely on binoculars. [img]graemlins/outtahere.gif[/img]

Snowatch Owner & Snow Forecastor
    Blog Entries

Follow the Snow! snowatch.com.au

SnowSnow

I'd prefer to stay at home if the games on live to!

bdenny4

Funny how this thread has turned into an afl vs nrl debate and the nrl thread hasn't!

SnowSnow

Maybe it should be locked then bdenny4 [img]graemlins/cold.gif[/img]

Originally posted by bdenny4:
    Funny how this thread has turned into an afl vs nrl debate and the nrl thread hasn't!
    Thats because us AFL fans are able to respect another code of football and not resort to childish slander in order to try and bring down what is a superior code.
    I think you underestimate my sneakyness!

popshuvit

So Batty.. if the AFL is a so called superior code, how many other countries is it played in?
    Do they have an AFL world cup?
    Can they have world club championship matches against clubs in other countries?
    hmmmmmm, I wonder.

Advanced Snowatcher

Batty I wouldnt have said Superior Code, thats opening up a can of worms, but yeah we AFL do not feel the need to continually stick up for our code, as we dont usually spend as much time in the doghouse. Therefore dont need to make everybody feel as crap about themselves as they do

Snowatch Patroller

So Pops,

I don't believe the relevance of who has a World Cup or or who has a club championship has anything to do with a persons preference for the football code of their choice.
    Last time I looked we live in Australia and the biggest football competitions in Australia are AFL, NRL and A League and I suppose Super 14's

I will not be able to quote numbers cause I haven't got time to find them, but my educated guess as to the most popular codes in terms of spectators and TV ratings would be
    1. AFL by a country mile
    2. NRL being strongly pushed by A League
    3. A League being pushed by Super 14's

This never started as a AFL vs NRL thing but for the hell of it I'll add the fact that NRL is a carp game to watch live and better on TV because of the close one on one encounters whereas AFL is a excellent game to watch live because of the advantage of seeing plays unfold maybe 150m away from the action which cannot be seen on TV to well

Been to numerous NRL GF's, couple of SoO's and numerous AFL GF's and even a died in the wool NRL supporter who came to one of the AFL GF's with me admitted after that it was the best live football game he had EVER been too

Each to their own I suppose.........
    Whatever!

hakenspit

By your logic pops we should all abandon all hope and concede defeat to soccer...I refuse to do this...sure soccer can be fun to play but I will be stuffed if I can watch a 0 - 0 draw 95% of the time.

I lived in nsw for 10 yrs and never understood how afl struggled to get a foot hold, only thing I can think is that AFL is too fast paced which means that you have to moderate your drinking to the quarter time, half time and 3 quarter time breaks. This is not so true for nrl where the game is slower in moving a lot of the time and you can duck off to grab a beer and not have missed much more than the play moving 10 metres forward .

Extreme Snowatcher

Hakenspit you should learn how to plan your drinking around the game. You just stock up enough to get you through each section of play. For me I only really watch Rugby live so for a 40 min half I generally get through 4 beers. I therefore have 4 beers ready to go before kick-off and get 4 more at half time.

Easy to do and you don't miss a minute of the game (subject to the size of your bladder).
    How many days till it snows again?

Snowatch Patroller

I can attest to Bear's theory too
    Whatever!

Advanced Snowatcher

hehehe Pess head's. We love ya anyway Pol, even if you do follow a crap code [img]smile.gif[/img]

Snowatch Patroller

not saying that BB, but I have been to a rugby game with Bear so I can confirm his drinking regime

I just went for the drink [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Whatever!

popshuvit

Sorry for my logic everyone.. but I think my point was taken wrong.
    I just wanted to respond to the claim of superiority of one code over another but asking that if it is that superior, then why don't they play the game elsewhere on this planet.
    Now, I am not a massive fan of either code, I do prefer to watch rugby union (although, with the boring style the tahs have been playing as of late, I haven't watched much), however I do like attending league games, but the only game I ever go to is at Leichhardt Oval.
    Sure, there isn't 90,000 odd people there watching, but cramming 17-20,000 in the ground (which is capacity), where you can see the game from anywhere you sit (or stand) creates an amazing atmosphere.

[size="1"][ 26.03.2009, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: popshuvit ][/size]

Advanced Snowatcher

Originally posted by Polaris:
    not saying that BB, but I have been to a rugby game with Bear so I can confirm his drinking regime

I just went for the drink [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I know I know.. Always for the beer. Actually had an offer of corporate box seats for last weekend.. I laughed. Thanks but no thanks.. Id be sooo bored...