Mt Hutt opening day postponed until Saturday June 11


This morning’s Snowatch NZ forecast indicated resorts may not open on time due to the strong winds over the next week. The belew advisory has just been sent out:


Media advisory from Mt Hutt ski area

Canterbury’s Mt Hutt ski area is sorry to advise that its scheduled opening day for the 2016 winter season has been postponed until Saturday June 11.

The weather forecast for its original scheduled opening day (Friday June 10), is for high winds at the ski area. While snow conditions are extremely good, the forecast is such that it’s unlikely chairlifts will be able to run with any certainty, and ski area managers would like guests to have a more enjoyable start to the 2016 season.

Mt Hutt has had a busy week leading up to opening, training over 250 staff.

“We’re disappointed for our guests that the forecast is such that we can’t open as planned, when we’re ready to go and everyone’s so excited about opening day,” said ski area manager James McKenzie.

“We’ll continue to closely monitor the weather forecast over the next couple of days, and remain hopeful of opening this weekend.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *