Legolas

As promised!

9 of us hit candlelight for dinner last night.

What a lovely cost atmosphere and friendly service too.

We skipped the savory fondue. Kids had schnitzel, steak etc. Two adults had jeaggerschnitzel (a favourite if mine) which was great. One had the vegetarian mushroom dish and reports lovely flavour but a little cold. Mr legs had pork kassler and pork belly and won hands down. Sticky tummy looking pork w mash. Mmmm

Choc fondue up each end of the table for dessert was a huge hit! And not at all over the top.

I really recommend it. We will go aain for sure!

Credo tonight for Austrian. Again 9 of us (a different group). Kids all well fed. Adults all very happy. Sadly the very nice service was just way too slow and they were flat out!! So by the end our kids were totally ratty. Which was a pity because they had all behaved very well, they were just way too tired and it all took too long. So my recommendation would be go early, order fast and ask for what you want because waiting doesn't get it! But I'd reiterate that they were lovely, food great too. They just needed one I two more on the floor.

The Austrian accordian player was a fun touch!!

Both great and recommended

Podlettte

mmm chocolate fondue....... must dig out mum's old fondue pot!

can't wait for the candlelight during the snowatchers slide...

ozgirl

I have been cooking and freezing all our meals for next week... I think I get one night off for pizza night..

Lasagna, meatballs, Chicken Pancetta mushroom and leek casserole, and i did braised veal shanks today.

Now i have to think of a fresh easy meal to cart up the mtn. Doesn't have to be fresh but would like to.

Legolas

Fried rice! Making it tomorrow night

Sauté Spanish onion in butter and oil stir rice (a cup) to coat add chicken stock (a cup an dhalf) boil then reduce to minimum and cover for 5-10 min

Sauté shredded bacon, finely chopped
    Carrot, tin corn kernels, frozen peas (I don't do peas but some do). Toss through rice and then toss in some soy.

make a quick omelette and chop it through too.

Or make a big batch of pesto sauce. Cook up pasta. Poach and shred a couple of chicken breasts. Too easy

Hands down beat pesto pasta recipe I've ever made

toast 1/2 cup pine nuts
    Process with 3/4 bunch basil and
    Juice of half a lemon

One chopped add salt, 1/3 cup Parmesan
    Drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil while motor still running

To serve cook pasta. Reserve a dash of cooking liquid when you drain it

In a big pan heat olive oil very gently and sauté a litle garlic and the remainder of the bunch of basil until wilted. Toss in pasta. And a little cooking liquid if needed plus the pesto sauce. Toss really well with cracked pepper and extra freshly
    Grated Parmesan. Serve with wedges of lemon and if you really want the carbs, a big dish of baby roast potatoes!! Trust me!!

[size="1"][ 14. July 2009, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Legolas ][/size]

Legolas

The pesto sauce can be made a week ahead and you don't have to add the leaves at the end if you don't want to.

ozgirl

Thanks

I have a jar of my homemade pesto in the fridge.. maybe be a back up.

But i was trying to avoid another pasta dish after the meatballs and the lasagna.

Does fried rice freeze well?

Legolas

No! But it's easy to knock up in the afternoon, as is frittata w baby roast tatties and minestrone (which does freeze well. )

Podlettte

just cook the rice the day before and store in airtight container in fridge for best results, although I've made it same day and it tastes are good, the rice is just a different consistency.

ozgirl

Yeah mum is an expert fried rice maker - you should let the rice dry out over night. spread it out in a baking tray.

Mum just had a good idea - crumb chicken beast and freeze that then make the vegies to go with it on the night.

I was also going to make potato bake one night as i have been craving it since Legs worte that post about it ages ago.

Originally posted by Podlettte:
    just cook the rice the day before and store in airtight container in fridge for best results, although I've made it same day and it tastes are good, the rice is just a different consistency.
    I know in the restaurant, this is what I observed !

Cook white rice. Then you let it set in the fridge overnight uncovered

Then in morning you mix it with soy sauce and salt and sugar and work it so its brown, then you put back in fridge.

Rice is ready when you have 200-300 degree heat in wok and oil to go

LifesGood

Thanks for the Candlelight review Legs, am going to make a booking for 8 now.

Advanced Snowatcher

Originally posted by ozgirl:
    I have been cooking and freezing all our meals for next week... I think I get one night off for pizza night..

Lasagna, meatballs, Chicken Pancetta mushroom and leek casserole, and i did braised veal shanks today.

Now i have to think of a fresh easy meal to cart up the mtn. Doesn't have to be fresh but would like to.
    If you can get hold of a crock pot you can whip up a fab casserole or even a roast with vegies and ski/board while it is cooking.. All's you need to take are some fresh veg and a small roast/or stewing meat (cheapest of cut will cook up so damn tender will melt like butter in your mouth!)and a power point.... come back from the slopes and your apartment will smell very appetizing! If you want to cheat McCormicks have some Slow Cooker meal satchets available in supermarkets now too.
    Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?