Beginner Snowatcher

Default Austrian Zugspitze gebiet review

Hi all.
    Early New Year 2016 was spent in Southern Germany and Austria. The plan was to have a week skiing in Oberstdorf (Allgau region of Germany) and a week in Lermoos, Austria. This plan soon came unraveled due to lack of good snow in Germany so the skiing was put on hold for other activities, of which there are plenty. Skating, tobogganing, alpine coaster, swimming in the thermal baths, cable car ride for the kids etc etc.
    We then travelled to Lermoos. Usually this is an hours trip but it took about 3 due to very heavy snow over the Oberjoch pass and the Fernpass. We arrived in Lermoos after dark with 40cm of fresh snow (on the road).
    Over the next four days we had the opportunity to check out the five ski areas of the Tyroler Zugspitze Gebiet. So, in order of preference:\\
    1. Lermoos. The largest area with some quite challenging slopes. Wide fast and great snow quality even down into the valley. Serviced by a very efficient gondola/quad system that leaves hardly any queues. Even on Saturday there was no wait once up the hill. Good restaurants and slope food.
    2. Erhwald. Nestled on the Austrian side of the Zugspitze (Germany\'s highest mountain). Nice family resort. A bit out of the way with little in the way of village charm but a good experience never the less. BREATHTAKING scenery. Nice wodded lower runs when the wind got up. Short (relative) runs with good huts to stop and refresh.
    3. Berwang. My kids loved Berwang. Linked via lift and trail to Heiterwang. A bit higher than the other villages. The snow was light and dry. Cruisy wodded and gentle the kids could just let their skis run and had a ball. Great little kids ski school too. Fantastic Austrian village.
    4. The rest: Biberwier was a bit of a washout due to a whiteout. Never good when you don\'t know where you are going. Winterstein is mostly T Bars and full of school kids. THE ZUGSPITZE: Only the glacier part is accessible from the Austrian cable car which is well worth a ride even if you don\'t ski. BUT for the crazy Cats, you can ski from the cable car terminal down to the glacier. With a guide you can ski down from here back via Ehrwald to Lermoos. It is not cheap but looks brilliant (my wife would not let me do it.).
    Close by: Garmisch - Partenkirchen. Germany\'s premier resort. Great skiing if the snow level allows. St Anton, Solden, Insbruck. All great.
    Synopsis: Tyroler Zugspitze Arena is not St Anton, or even Solden or Ishgl. But, it is cheap, varied and challenging enough for a week. More snow-sure than Kitzbhul, less rowdy than St Anton and a lot cheaper than Solden. In my experience of 20 years of Euro - ski travel it is probably the best and most varied family ski area that i have been to. There is even a castle to visit (Ehernberg at Reutte).
    Regards.
    Dave

Beginner Snowatcher

Default Re: Austrian Zugspitze gebiet review

Furthermore: All the areas are linked by snow bus and all can be ski'd on one cheap pass. Top quality ski hire too in Lermoos from Sport Mader near the church. Give the ski school at Lermoos a miss. I booked a 4 hr private for 2 kids and paid top dollar for an English speaking coach. They played snow men all day with a local farm boy!!!!!
    Accomodation: We stayed in the Ferienhaus Olympia. Restaurant on site. Very traditional and old world. Loved it.

snowie

I would love to go skiing in this part of Europe! It is next on my list of places to visit. Your detailed review will be very helpful

Extreme Snowatcher

I loved the area but it was a long time ago. We stayed in Garmisch Partenkirchen and Berwang. I should have tried some downhill in Berwang. Instead I tried cross country and I was very bad at it.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Do you have a selection of photos you could share?
    Do it the snow way!

Beginner Snowatcher

I do mate but i'm having dramas with the uploader. cant seem to make it work. i keep getting the red exclamation error mark.