Thread: Trip update

Intermediate Snowatcher

Default Trip update

So those who remember I booked our honeymoon as a new skier (ex snowboarder). Thought I'd give you an update......

Day 1 - Vancouver
    Have done most of vancouver previously however went to the tower and admired the view, learnt a bit if history. Great lunch in gastown and Canucks game (they lost).

Day 2 - 8am transfer to whistler - all good - enjoyed the ride up minimal traffic and only the two of us on the bus. Great driver (Chris) who is a whistler local who was keen to impart some local knowledge which was great. Checked in, picked up demo skis and hit the slopes. Was here last in 2011 and it was amasing compared to then. There was road side snow straight out out Squamish.

Day 3 - picked up new skis that I purchased as it was cheaper to buy than to hire (Solomon rocker 2 90's) and hit the ski school for the max4 sessions (4 student per instructor).i went into level 3 and had a great instructor from Korea who looked after us really well. I would recommend the ski school to anyone. Apparently we had approx 16" of snow today, which I would have to agree with. It was puking all day and I managed to get to a level where the instructor took us looking for powder. It was awesome!!!!!

Anyway that's it so far - more updates to come...... Ps it hasnt stopped snowing all day and in the last hour (only)we've had approx 5cms settle in the village.
    "Sex at the age of 80 is like trying to play snooker with a length of rope" ...... George Burns

Extreme Snowatcher

Default Re: Trip update

awesome!!! looking forward to seeing some piccies!
    Winter is here!

Extreme Snowatcher

Very nice. Not jealous at all.
    How many days till it snows again?

Advanced Snowatcher

Looking at the reports coming back from Whistler at the moment I don't think Punter will have time to be making updates for a while.
    You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.

Snowatch Owner & Snow Forecastor
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to pics.
    Follow the Snow! snowatch.com.au

Intermediate Snowatcher

Dr D - you got it.

Its been a while since I could update so bear with me.

Lessons 2-3 - kept snowing but the theme to the days was wet wet wet. Better snow than I've ever seen in Australia but as everyone knows whistler is wet snow.

Spent the days exploring whistler and was introduced to moguls which for a first time skier were not what I was hoping to do. Lucky we did our lessons on these in 30cms of powder so the stacks didn't hurt.

Hint - if skiing at whistler on a weekend when there is a heap of powder book a lesson as you get to skip the lift lines. I overheard some level 5 or 6 guys saying that's why they were doing a lesson.

Lesson 4 - I had a new instructor as I was progressed through their ranking. Dave has been in whistler since 1970's and is a retiree who works because he loves it. I thought I'd preface with that as he was sooooooo good at pushing us and making us better. We explored the back bowls of whistler which I had done previously snowboarding but this was a whole new world. A slight hiccup when harmony chair broke down for 20mins so the line up was massive......

Lesson 5 - Dave had a day off as he had to go to vancouver so he lined up that I'd have his mate dick as my instructor. Dave and dick were in exactly the same stage of life and were instructing because they loved it. Back bowls again - no new snow but high up was plenty of fresh stuff. Warning - mid mountain was like skiing in aus (except you couldnt see grass through the ice). It was rock hard! At the end of lesson 5 two if our group downloaded as they were buggered so myself and one other had dick to ourselves for the run home. Enter black runs! Well my first black run was an experience ill never forget - jimmy s joker....... Top section great - nice fresh stuff,steep and ungroomed. We then came to a ridge and dick said 'oh my god I'm so sorry boys' - left me with plenty of confidence there as I look at an almost vertical drop of icy (I mean cold cement) moguls almost 50cms high. The other guy went first and 3 turns in stacked and slid for 30m cursing the whole way - I was now ****ting myself. Dick was supportive and talked me through it and I was very proud in making it down the whole way turning without falling. So thinking I was becoming a competent skier I had a bit more confidence which as you will probably guess means I had a massive stack on a green run home. I was overtaking people at speed when a learner caught an edge and shot sideways about 3m just as I was going past her..... Damn it hurt (especially my pride). Lesson learned.

Lesson 6 - as the previous days 4 were back again dick met us early to take us up for some good snow. We had about 5cm overnight which was great. Still icy down low. We ventured to blackcomb via peak to peak and did 7th heaven. Usually my favourite area but it was terrible. Light was bad and the powder had a very icy crust. Went to jersey cream and snow and light was great. Crystal chair area kept us busy for a few hours and I hadn't spent time here before so was good to see it all. We then skied the cruiser to the bottom and got the whistler gondola to do both mountains top to bottom in the same day. Warning confidence, testosterone, ski apps and black runs = disaster. To explain - in the gondola I learnt about the app which logs top speed/vertical etc and decided I was going to try to beat the groups top speed so far (45mph). Enter Dave Murray down hill (Olympic downhill for those unaware) a groomed black run. The group went down and I was last. Carving turn 1,2,3 were a success air over a crest landed ok turn 4 good oh **** wipe off speed wipe off speed - CRASH!!!!!! Ummmmm is everything still connected? Yes. Anything broken? No Anything sore? EVERYTHING! The positive of this was that I shattered the record 63mph woo hoo. I won thank god so no need to try it again!!!!
    "Sex at the age of 80 is like trying to play snooker with a length of rope" ...... George Burns