Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Dependent on your ability, age, experience alcohol can be an enjoyable snow activity relative to how much is consumed. RSA determines that the people serving the drinks are responsible for any incident that happens until the drunk is safe in their home. If someone gets hurt because of a drunk it's the fault of the establishment - not the individual - not the alcohol.

It's been shown that driving while tired is worse than driving drunk.

On the snow I'd rather be in the way of a drunk experienced snowboarder, than a sober skier with an hour of lessons under their belt.

Schnapps keeps me warm.

Advanced Snowatcher

Originally posted by spaz:
    Dependent on your ability, age, experience alcohol can be an enjoyable snow activity relative to how much is consumed. RSA determines that the people serving the drinks are responsible for any incident that happens until the drunk is safe in their home. If someone gets hurt because of a drunk it's the fault of the establishment - not the individual - not the alcohol.

It's been shown that driving while tired is worse than driving drunk.

On the snow I'd rather be in the way of a drunk experienced snowboarder, than a sober skier with an hour of lessons under their belt.

Schnapps keeps me warm.
    I agree.. it should be the RSA that regulates and steps up to the plate so to speak.. but come on people let's be realistic here.. that is just not going to happen any time too soon.. if these nobel bar waiters/waitress/managers/licencees took their positions seriously enough we probably wouldn't have half of the alcohol related offences. Responsible consumption of alcohol comes with maturity.. yet there are a hell of a lot of young stupid irresponsible drinkers amoungst us during our winter season.. and they take on an immortal kind of attitude and I believe they are allowed to get away with far too much. I'd put a large sum of money on the table and bet that a lot of hoons who carry on irresponsibly on the slopes are not just affected by alcohol.. pop a few pills into the equation and it all just gets worse. Take the alcohol fueled situation on our city streets for example.. we don't want our slopes plagued with the same carp.. NO! I STRONGLY believe something more should be done to discourage drinking whilst on the slopes.. this is a family sport.. we have a right to feel safe.. as do our children. Look at all the big league games that have a NO ALCOHOL Ban on them. It would be nice to be able to enjoy a drink (such as schnapps num num) responsibly and know that everyone else can be mature enough to be as responsible too.. however, in this day and age I don't think 'responsible consumption of alcohol' is part of our youth's mentality.. or some of the older crowd for that matter(I don't wish to generalise too much).
    The other night (early morning 2.30am) I was out on my back porch begging for my drunken partying neighbours to "please keep it down".. but one bright young bloke just wanted to carry on in his drunken stupoir and proceeded to get on to his skiis and made his way down to the steepest set of steps he could find and challenge himself to a bit of concrete skiing.. not a real bright idea!

[size="1"][ 20. July 2009, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: JSJ ][/size]
    Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?

Originally posted by JSJ:
    I agree.. it should be the RSA that regulates and steps up to the plate so to speak.. but come on people let's be realistic here.. that is just not going to happen any time too soon.. if these nobel bar waiters/waitress/managers/licencees took their positions seriously enough we probably wouldn't have half of the alcohol related offences.

Seriously, the responsibility lies on the individual not the person serving it. I know by law that's not the case, but it should be! How ridiculous is it, that if you get drunk and injure someone, that you can hold the person who served YOU the alcohol accountable - I strongly disagree, we should all take responsibility for our own actions - enough with the shifting of blame I say.
    Snow White, Ski Black!

^^I don't think I have that quoting function down pat yet ...
    Snow White, Ski Black!

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Part and part agree; I've been caught out myself, unaware of how drunk I've become because I'm drunk.
    Alcohol inhibits judgment and can easily inhibit the ability to stop when you've had enough or make you loose count of how many you've had.

A big night for me is 5-6 drinks, that's my responsible stumble home limit but after six I have trouble distinguishing that number with 10.

There is a reason the flare run slowly wonders from side to side down the supertrail and you need to be of above average ability

DHS

How about some common sense, (I know a lot of people lack it), and takeing responsibility for you own actions. Quite simple really

Snowatch Patroller

Originally posted by JSJ:

The other night (early morning 2.30am) I was out on my back porch begging for my drunken partying neighbours to "please keep it down".. but one bright young bloke just wanted to carry on in his drunken stupoir and proceeded to get on to his skiis and made his way down to the steepest set of steps he could find and challenge himself to a bit of concrete skiing.. not a real bright idea!
    So if things had of gone pear shape and he broke himself or someone/something else, who is to blame?
    He is!!!
    Nobody else.
    Not the bottle shop that sold him the takeaway
    Not his mates who he was drinking with

I really wish people would turn back time and accept responsibility for their own actions

As Spaz said a bit earlier, being exhausted on the ski slopes can be as bad as being drunk on the slopes and I dare suggest that popping a pill on the slopes may well be worse than either!!
    Being exhausted in a car can be as devastating as being drunk in a car.... just witnessed last week as we all know
    Are we going to ask a guest as they purchase a ticket in the morning how many hours sleep they had last night?
    There is only one thing wrong with common sense, it is not common, but if people accepted responsibility for themselves then even the thought of a Nanny State controlling having a beer at lunch time whilst skiing would be were it belongs, blowing towards Dalgety like everything else today

[size="1"][ 20. July 2009, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Polaris ][/size]
    Whatever!

I hope the injured guy gets better.

I ski.

I like a beer with lunch sometimes.

I have never hit anyone.
    *insert witty comment here*

Snowatch Patroller

ditto JD
    Whatever!

DHS

Same here. I think it is knowing your limit that is the key. Like common sense, too many people lack this ability

I did come a little close to hitting someone I was skiing with yesterday....I was stone cold sober.....I had a beer with lunch and never came close afterwards.

I still hope the hit guy gets better.

Donza

Originally posted by John Deere:
    I hope the injured guy gets better.

I ski.

I have never hit anyone.
    I snowboard.

I have hit a couple of people . (in 15 years of sliding). Without Alcohol.

I drive up the hill..so i'm never going to have many drinkies. DUI in the carpark.

Alcohol + Snow = the culture we have evolved.

I firmly believe that the person who hit that person and caused those injuries should have had his blood alcohol limit tested as soon as humanly possible.

It is illegal to ride a horse and be over the legal limit, alcohol wise. What makes it any different on skis/board/whatever?

I can understand that you don't want Australia to become a "Nanny State" and for people to take responsibility for their own actions, not sue the bartender for serving too many drinks, however these laws are in place for a reason. After a certain point, a person may be too intoxicated to realise how many he has in fact had - and it is the responsibility of the sober bartender to determine whether it is in fact safe to continue to serve him. Conditions come into play. An individual may normally have 5-6 bourbon and cokes over the course of a few hours, and be fine. However, change the conditions, he has been skiing all day, his metabolism is firing, his stomach is empty, he is drinking it faster as a result of the cold - the drinker may not realise that the alcohol is hitting him as fast as it is, and it is the responsibility of the bartender to keep an eye on his patrons and attempt to monitor the situation to the best of his ability.

I become angered when friends come back from a week at the snow and tell me that it is the drunkest they have ever been, and then they show me photographs and videos of them attempting to ski/board/taboggan whilst hammered. The photos aren't funny or clever, they are stupid and dangerous.

Further to the matter at hand, I do believe that the person responsible for the accident should be held accountable. I also believe that if they were well over the legal limit and they were drinking at a licensed bar, the bar should also be held accountable. RSA laws exist for a reason and being "at the snow" isn't a valid excuse to ignore them.

My thoughts go out to the person injured and their family, I wish them a speedy and full recovery.
    All things are possible, except for skiing through a revolving door..

Extreme Snowatcher

it is against the Alpine Responsibility Code to ride under the effect of Alcohol or Drugs

it is up to everyone to know their limits and act accordingly

it is hard enough dodging beginners on the slopes

i hope the injured party recovers to full health
    Mad Respect

Intermediate Snowatcher

Originally posted by Caboose:
    it is against the Alpine Responsibility Code to ride under the effect of Alcohol or Drugs

not quite true Caboose!! It's against the Code to ride if your ability is IMPAIRED by alcohol or drugs. Some might argue that their ability is enhanced [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    having said that, I do think that many people drink too much at lunchtime. If I had anything to drink at lunchtime, I'd be asleep!

You obviously don't ski hard enough!

Snowatch Patroller

only problem with that is that it is a "code", not "law"
    it is up to everyone to know their limits and act accordingly
    Is that this "common sense" we have been talking about
    it is hard enough dodging beginners on the slopes
    pole plant practice [img]graemlins/cold.gif[/img]
    i hope the injured party recovers to full health
    110% in agreeance there!!
    Whatever!