Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BrumbyJack

Can you make french onion dip from Greek Yoghurt instead of sour cream???

I can't see any reason why not, but don't want to waste the $$$ finding out there was!!! [img]graemlins/big_laugh.gif[/img]

Podlettte

I'm certainly not a chef, but I'm trying to imagine the taste of greek yoghurt and french onion soup, and although I think it would be alright, just runnier than sour cream, it wouldn't be the same. which doesn't matter if you're going for an alternate flavour [img]smile.gif[/img]

Extreme Snowatcher

Will be more tangy than using sour cream and, as Pods said, a little more runny, but I reckon it would be OK. I often substitute one for the other, though have never done it with that particular type of dip. Keep us posted. Am keen to know how it turns out if you use the yoghurt.
    Skier: one who pays an arm and a leg for the opportunity to break them

BrumbyJack

OK, will give it a go...

I only ever use light or extra light sour cream anyway and that is pretty runny.

I will let you know how it goes tonight.

Legolas

prolly too late, but if all you can get is greek yoghurt why not make a tsatziki?

google it, or just finely shred a cucumber and add salt, garlic, a little lemon rind and juice and a bit of cracked pepper (i also put ground cummin and fresh or ground coriander sometimes)

yummy w veggie sticks or pita bread

BrumbyJack

Because the person I'm making it for doesn't like tzatziki!!!

Anyway, it's in the fridge, looks good, tastes good so far... will report back when it's eaten tonight.

I wanted to use yoghurt over cream because it's lower in fat!!!

I've got carrot and celery sticks to go with it... and other stuff too.

Extreme Snowatcher

If you ever want another yoghurt based dip I've got a few. My favourite is with finely chopped banana, desicated coconut, chopped fresh corriander and lemon juice. The original recipe actually says to use sour cream, but I think it's better with yoghurt. Fantastic with little pappadums cooked in the microwave.

Extreme Snowatcher

Originally posted by SnoWhite:
    If you ever want another yoghurt based dip I've got a few. My favourite is with finely chopped banana, desicated coconut, chopped fresh corriander and lemon juice. The original recipe actually says to use sour cream, but I think it's better with yoghurt. Fantastic with little pappadums cooked in the microwave.
    uke: Where is the dislike button here.
    How many days till it snows again?

BrumbyJack

Taste test went OK, there was none left.

RedBull thought it tasted OK, he didn't realise it was yoghurt and not cream.

I thought it did have a big of a yoghurt tang...

Hmmm the banana and coconut sounds great!!!

Sounds similar to my sister in law's banana, coconut & marshmallow salad!!! (other things in it too, just can't remember. Mandarin I think?)

Extreme Snowatcher

Originally posted by Bear:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SnoWhite:
    uke: Where is the dislike button here. </font>[/QUOTE]Maybe you'd prefer one of my sour cream and banana muffins, or a banana milk shake, or a banana split, or banoffee pie, banana frittas or perhaps a banana daquiri??? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Extreme Snowatcher

Will try digging the recipe out tomorrow. It's also really nice with a hot curry.

karen97

So it seems that your question was answered BJ

Btw, I would have just bought it already made from the shops [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Podlettte

Originally posted by BrumbyJack:
    Sounds similar to my sister in law's banana, coconut & marshmallow salad!!! (other things in it too, just can't remember. Mandarin I think?)
    I'd forgotten all about that until your description but Mum used to make that for all special occasions. Oh wow, what memories

I think it had cream swirled through it or something liquidy.......?

[size="1"][ 26. November 2009, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Podlettte ][/size]

Legolas

puke!!!

Extreme Snowatcher

I think it's an ambrosia salad or something. Everything's bound together with sour cream, which dulls the sweetness of the marshmallows. I've never made it, but had it once years and years ago made by a girlfriend's mum. Legs, I recall having to be talked into trying it as it looked like one big disgusting mess, but actually tasted surprisingly good.

Advanced Snowatcher

yeah, a friend of mine makes it too for christmas, she also puts grapes in it. It's kinda nice after 2 days when it is just mush
    No such word as can't, I can do whatever the hell I like !!!!

Podlettte

Sour cream that's it!

I think mum put toasted nuts in hers as well. mmm might ask if she can make it for chrissy

Advanced Snowatcher

and don't forget the triffle
    No such word as can't, I can do whatever the hell I like !!!!

Legolas

Originally posted by SnoWhite:
    I think it's an ambrosia salad or something. Everything's bound together with sour cream, which dulls the sweetness of the marshmallows. I've never made it, but had it once years and years ago made by a girlfriend's mum. Legs, I recall having to be talked into trying it as it looked like one big disgusting mess, but actually tasted surprisingly good.
    tasty vomit...will put it on my "try someday" list...