Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Backpack for skiing

Thanks taxman. I will follow that up with him as he was waiting on stock of the one we were talking about (model name has completely left me but it wasn't switch) however he can order in any pack I'm after so I will chat with him again tommorrow. :-)

SA

Default Re: Backpack for skiing

Coopski - do you know, or have a preference of how you want to carry your skis (diagonal/straight/a-frame)? I think it's a pretty important factor to narrow down what pack(s) you might consider buying.

Just looked on their website. It was the kode 22l he was waiting on.

Quote Originally Posted by SA View Post
    Coopski - do you know, or have a preference of how you want to carry your skis (diagonal/straight/a-frame)? I think it's a pretty important factor to narrow down what pack(s) you might consider buying.
    To be honest I've never had a pack that carries them so I guess that's also the type of feedback I'm after. Do you find one way more cumbersome than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by karen97 View Post
    I go BC and I use Dakine packs. I have a Heli Pro and a Dakine Guide 50LT. I agree that there are better quality packs out there, but my packs fitted into my budget at the time. Also another point to remember that you need to get a pack that fits you best!
    Yep, I seen plenty BC (including Kaz's, albeit in summer), they do the job. I personally wouldn't hump a set of 180cm 100mm under foot skis out of Watsons Creek on one, but they could do it.
    *insert witty comment here*

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    Which is why brands like Osprey make each model in different sizes, to get the best fit for your body type.

Coopski, if you are looking at the Osprey packs, make sure you look at the Switch series as they are specifically made for skiing/boarding with dry pockets, draining pockets (for wet skins and avy gear), internal hyrdation bladder pocket, reinforced loops and clips for carring skis and boards. If they weren't very good, JD and I (and other users) wouldn't be passionate about them.
    I like the BD design better. It has much better access than the Switch, but the Switch is hard as nails, probably better built than the BD.

Quote Originally Posted by SA View Post
    The Osprey Switch packs can carry skis either A-frame or diagonally.
    Last edited by Taxman; 09-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Coopski View Post
    To be honest I've never had a pack that carries them so I guess that's also the type of feedback I'm after. Do you find one way more cumbersome than the other?
    SA raises a good question. I prefer to have mine bound together and strapped firmly straight up and down on the pack. I find A frame a little cumbersome to get rigid and diaganol tend to be easier to overbalance for me.....it is a personal thing though and much depends on your height, ski length, ski weight etc.

SA

Quote Originally Posted by Coopski View Post
    Yes, I definitely have a preference with mine, eg. I generally carry diagonally; but inevitably it will differ from person to person. What length/width/weight skis will you carry? Will you have wide/super wide brakes or not? Are you short or tall? Some of these things will make a real difference when you're boot packing - will the tails of the skis stab you in the calves or knock the back of your head repeatedly, or will you list to one side with an uneven weight distribution?

Without wanting to make choosing more difficult I've found some packs offer multiple carry positions but do one/some far better than others. If you're going to spend a bit on the pack it's not a bad idea to take your intended skis in and have a go strapping them on, seeing what's comfortable for you walking around, working out which straps/positions work better than others, and which might slip loose.

Taxman alluded to skins above - are you going to be boot-packing mainly, or also skinning? This would change how you'd mainly use a pack.

SA

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    The Osprey Switch packs can carry skis either A-frame of diagonally.
    Yes. I own one.

Boot packing for the mean time. Certainly down the track I would love to do more BC but that would be a fairway down the track. I have a young one that limits my ability to go bush these days ;-) (mum can't go too far a field without being missed..mind you I think mum would miss him more ;-). Good idea SA re taking the skis with me. Now I'm loaded with amunition I think it's time to go play in a few stores and see what I like best :-) let's go ssssssshhhhoooopppiiinnnggg!!

Mizu Kuma

If he's hanging of the apron strings at home surely he can hang off ya backpack straps, while ya BC Let us know what ya end up getin Coops!

SA

I think it's great that you're getting out there, young one or no. Good luck. I'll be interested to hear what you end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by John Deere View Post
    SA raises a good question. I prefer to have mine bound together and strapped firmly straight up and down on the pack. I find A frame a little cumbersome to get rigid and diaganol tend to be easier to overbalance for me.....it is a personal thing though and much depends on your height, ski length, ski weight etc.
    JD if you have your skis bound and verticle does that mean your using the central snowboard strap vs the ski straps/loops on the corners? Sorry if that's a daft question. Its gettin late in the day :-)

SA

From memory, I think JD's BD pack has 2 straps going horizontally across the face of the pack that allow him to strap vertically, one near the top and one near the bottom.

I don't have snowboard straps on my pack...how offensive Like SA says, two horizontal jobbies.... this is the pack

But the clip behind the grey bit on the bottom I usually dont thread through the grey bit but over the top of my skis!

Sorry JD...hangs head and walks away ;-)
    Nice looking pack btw!

Quote Originally Posted by John Deere View Post
    I don't have snowboard straps on my pack...how offensive Like SA says, two horizontal jobbies.... this is the pack

But the clip behind the grey bit on the bottom I usually dont thread through the grey bit but over the top of my skis!
    I think someones telling porkie pies...
    "A deluxe all-purpose snowboard or ski pack with unique “back door” access, the AvaLung-equipped Outlaw has plenty of room to comfortably carry all your day-tripping needs"
    ;-) ;-) :giggles:

Mizu Kuma

Chin up Coops, we snowboarders don't care if ya put ya skis in our straps!

High quality, but just one year warranty.

Mine is 18 months old, done some heavy days, always over packed looking like it will burst at the seams, but it hasn't