Beginner Snowatcher

Default Must get to CANADAA!!!!

Ok heres the story/problem,

Basically i have taken a year off uni and i go back at the start of March, 2011, when the snow falls in Canada next season, I want to be there for as long as possible, I wanted to go with friends but they are unable to come so i figured i will get a job there and just meet people, but they only take u if u work 6 months (past march) and i can't do that, now im thinking is i will do a 4 week basic instructor course in either november or january (we, my family, might be going to Japan in January) with a company called Basecamp, and it looks pretty fun, basically im wondering does anyone know about this company and if you have done the course what its like? also if i did it in november what is the chance of whistler taking me on as an instructor from mid december til late february?
    I have also heard that u can volunteer in some places and get a free season lift pass and cheap accomodation etc? has anyone got any tips on that?
    And finally does anyone think what im doing is wrong and there are far more enjoyable and easier ways to experience Canada and whistler, cheers.
    happily hysteric in the snow

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Must get to CANADAA!!!!

What do these volunteers do - are they simply under the counter 'cash' employees with no work visa and no workplace injury cover? Or were they volunteer staff for the now-ended Winter Olympics???? even they, I think, didn't get free season passes. I've never heard of volunteers in anything getting a free season pass and cheap accommodation.

What really are your chances of graduating as an instructor? Only you know your ability as a skier/boarder and as a student of a course and as someone a ski school will want. Chances are there'l be a lot of people seeking that 'dream' job. And the employer might prefer no newbie instructors with no work visas and no ability or desire to stay a full season.

Can Basecamp guarantee - unconditionally and in writing - that graduates (assuming you pass) will be employed as instructors? and, if so, what will you earn to cover your accom and living costs?

Check out the bone fides of anyone offering jobs. A lot of young aussies were promised jobs at Whistler over the Olympics and 2009/10 season if they gave some company $5000 and, when they arrived, they were told to get visas and find their own jobs. The newspapers and families on talkback radio weren't very charitable in their description of the company involved (whoever it was I can't recall). Radio stations were told that there were dozens of houses crammed with 30 kids each left in limbo. That's a lot of out-of-pocket people.
    The Frog is a Prince

Beginner Snowatcher

Default Re: Must get to CANADAA!!!!

Yer im not really sure how they did it, I think i Have decided now that i will do the course in january 2011, and use it as a learning holiday, then try go back to uni, then try and get a job over east in june/july and then whistler in our summer break...if they let me, if i dont get a job i dont really mind coz i will get to ski whistler and improve my skiing and backcountry knowledge (they do an avalanche safety course ).
    happily hysteric in the snow