Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Extreme Snowatcher

Default The Chunkys are going to Canada! Canada Talk Thread

2010/2011. Wanted the White Christmas but the prices were a little too pricey and we avoid a week of higher accom prices so thought we would compromise and have new years in Vancouver before heading out on our skiing journey.
    Last edited by chunky; 02-03-2010 at 06:42 PM.
    Do it the snow way!

Snowatcher & Jindabyne Resident
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Chunkys are going to Canada!

Excellent!

Any ideas on where you'll be skiing?

Extreme Snowatcher

We are leaning to Big White, but we are going to a few places all over the place. We have mini-stays planned for Vancouver, Seattle, Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff and Revelstoke and at least a week maybe a bit more in a ski resort.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Want to ski Marmot when we are in Jasper mainly bc i haven't done it and definitely Lake Louise if it is a clear day mainly so I can get some groovy photos. And of course want to sample Revelstoke skiing.
    Do it the snow way!

Snowatcher & Jindabyne Resident
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you'll be doing lots of driving...

Extreme Snowatcher

chunky,

excellent!

at this stage its looking like we'll be in canda during jan 2011 as well. Looking like sun peaks at this stage but given its a 4 or 5 families meet up ski trip it will depend on majority rule as to resort. Who knows, might see you for a ski!
    Winter is here!

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Its a relieving feeling to get the flights and accom booked. All I need do is

-wait on one flight in Feb 2011 back home;
    -hope some nice early bird season pass offers are made when (fingers crossed) the $A is decent;
    - book 2012. Hmmm. Better get cracking on that.
    The Frog is a Prince

Intermediate Snowatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Vet View Post
    Its a relieving feeling to get the flights and accom booked. All I need do is

-wait on one flight in Feb 2011 back home;
    -hope some nice early bird season pass offers are made when (fingers crossed) the $A is decent;
    - book 2012. Hmmm. Better get cracking on that.
    Hi Vet

Who are you booking through. Having never been OS on a ski holiday I am finding it hard getting info off resort pages etc. The ski companies are all saying proces won't be out until June(ish)..... Would really love some help here.... It looks like we are in from a week in Whistler and a week in Lake Louise leaving Aus approx 2nd week Jan.....
    "Sex at the age of 80 is like trying to play snooker with a length of rope" ...... George Burns

Advanced Snowatcher

TP many of the booking agencies, wont release places until then. We researched Heavenly by googling Sth Lake Tahoe Accom or Condo Sth Lake Tahoe etc etc ..... and contacting Owners or vacationrentals.com which directs you to owners...

Much cheaper.. I dont know if they do Canada, but have a look we have a 2bedroom place in Sth Lake Tahoe for 1500 + tax for a month in Jan 11 by doing it this way
    If swimmings good for your figure, explain whales to me

Extreme Snowatcher

They have direct owner chalets available for Canada too.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Jahoota View Post
    chunky,

excellent!

at this stage its looking like we'll be in canda during jan 2011 as well. Looking like sun peaks at this stage but given its a 4 or 5 families meet up ski trip it will depend on majority rule as to resort. Who knows, might see you for a ski!
    Hey! You never know
    Do it the snow way!

Advanced Snowatcher

Quote Originally Posted by chunky View Post
    They have direct owner chalets available for Canada too.
    Is that how your doing it? I never thought to look into Canada that way.
    If swimmings good for your figure, explain whales to me

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Total punter View Post
    Hi Vet

Who are you booking through. Having never been OS on a ski holiday I am finding it hard getting info off resort pages etc. The ski companies are all saying proces won't be out until June(ish)..... Would really love some help here.... It looks like we are in from a week in Whistler and a week in Lake Louise leaving Aus approx 2nd week Jan.....
    I haven't studied whistler so I can't really contribute anything.

We're flying out 2nd Jan to LA, but on points and cash. I think return cash fares were goingg to be a whopping $1800 pp. If not for Lil Vet's schooling, I'd go Feb-April (to Tahoe) with lower air (about $1400) and heaps of 2-for1 ski lift deals.

I don't use a travel agency - try Mark at 7 Descents. I joined tax exempt non profit ahem clubs where, as a rule of thumb, a week costs up to $US93 a night. And I know people - but can't post my secrets on the web: my source's resources are finite.

try myresortnetwork.com and vrbo.com where owners offer their units for rent. The GFC has seen offers of terrific cheap places like BB's $1500 per month for a 2 bedroom house. The secret, I think, is to avoid hotels and get a condo with a self catering full kitchen (mot just a microwave). Find a place served by free shuttles to the lifts, and close to lifts (and not uphill long walks from the shuttle stop). Just look at ways to shave bucks here and there. Pay in full when the $A is high. Look for cheap lift tix, eg frequrent skier programs, season passes, that sort of thing.

Sorry I don't know more about Whistler.
    Last edited by Vet; 02-03-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    The Frog is a Prince

Xena

Default Re: The Chunkys are going to Canada! Canada Talk Thread

I went to Canada twice - 1st to Whistler and 2nd to Big White and Whistler again. Both times I booked owner direct accom through allura.direct.com - fabulous website, trustworthy, secure, best prices and offer lift ticket discounts etc too.

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Strewth! I'm glad I got 'rewards-with-some cash' seats for $1k cash pp. Zuji and Bestflights priced our trip next Jan/Feb just to LA at about $2200/2300 pp.

Over on the dark side's noticeboard thread, a person claiming to be a travel agent reckons there'e codeshare flights in Jan 2011 for $1600 to Vancouvre. Punter, you could always ring Qld Fair Trading to check the travel agency licence number matches the contact details and go from there.
    The Frog is a Prince

Advanced Snowatcher

personally I would not book with that person...it's just a gut feel.
    No such word as can't, I can do whatever the hell I like !!!!

Advanced Snowatcher

Okay on the owner direct thing, we have used it in canada too and it's great. Only issue is flights, to get the cheaper flights we have to book some accom through our agents. And when I talkj cheaper flights it's by heaps.
    No such word as can't, I can do whatever the hell I like !!!!

Intermediate Snowatcher

Thanks so much all. Scouring all of these sights all day today me reckons. Oh well didn't need to get any work done anyways (just don't tell the boss).......

Looking at prices I may have talked the +1 into doing Colorado as it looks a fair bit cheaper when it is just the 2 of us. Most places in Canada seem to be for a minimum of 4 and most 6+. Somewhere like Breckenridge looks alot cheaper (as I'm doing my bit for the economy this year anyway). Now all we have to do is decide which of the 1million resorts to stay at..... I hate to say it but Aus trips are a lot easier to organise even if they are more $$$$$.

Will keep you updated.... Thanks for the info....
    "Sex at the age of 80 is like trying to play snooker with a length of rope" ...... George Burns

Intermediate Snowatcher

Is there any must do resorts in USA? I would assume that pretty well everywhere is going to be awesome there however just thought I would ask for peoples favourites.

I am told by Miss Bossy (+1) that it has to be ski in/ski out and god help my if I don't provide.

With so many resorts to choose from it is a little daunting to make a decision from pretty well no knowledge apart from advertising material and we all know how truthful that usually is.

We are both very competent on Blue runs in Aus. I am gettting off into the trees as much as possible and +1 sticks to the groomed runs as she isn't a fan of massive amounts of powder.... (What the???)

Sorry to hijack your thread Chunky.....

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Southwest has terrific fares on sale fairly regularly, eg $39-$49 with 2 free bags to/from LAX-Sacramento (near Homewood, Squaw, Alpine Meadows, Northstar), and to Reno ($54-$75 with free bags) near Mt Rose, Diamond Peak, heavenly, Kirkwood. Then fly to Denver for a ski at Breck etc, and/or then fly to Salt lake City and then to Sac/Reno, or to LAX or SFO for the trip home. Use shuttles maybe at resorts. Pick resorts with good lift prices.

For cheap, get the epic pass ($US500???) and ski Heavenly (near Reno Airport), then fly Sthwest (or drive) on a sale fare to Denver to do Breck, Keystone, Vail and maybe another one I can't recall.

Avoid hotels and get condos with kitchens.

Or find Crystal's travel agent or packages from the usual ski tour businesses.

PS: Dodge Ridge has fired the first salvo in a price war (I hope) for 2011 - $US299 season passes for 2011 if bought by some day in April 2010. Fingers crossed the US early bird passes for 2010/11 stay low
    Last edited by Vet; 03-03-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    The Frog is a Prince