Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Extreme Snowatcher

Default Re: The Chunkys are going to Canada! Canada Talk Thread

Chunky - How good are the kids at skiing?

Having just been to revelstoke it may be a little much for them, top to bottom is 15km!

That said it is an eye opening resort, it's big and when I say big I mean BIG. Steep and just crazy.
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

Extreme Snowatcher

Depends what you want Total Punter. There are lots of choices over there especially Sun Peaks, BW and Silver Star for accomodations.

Crystal, your friend in Big White - have you got a link to the property?
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Revelstoke stop is mainly for the snowmobiling we are planning on doing but my wife has a friend that has just bought a house there so we plan to visit. Oh i just have to try a slide or two there. My thoughts at this stage is that will just be me and the prodigy. The girls are going to enjoy something else. Early days in planning
    Do it the snow way!

Advanced Snowatcher

Quote Originally Posted by chunky View Post
    Depends what you want Total Punter. There are lots of choices over there especially Sun Peaks, BW and Silver Star for accomodations.

Crystal, your friend in Big White - have you got a link to the property?
    Yup hang on and I will find it
    No such word as can't, I can do whatever the hell I like !!!!

Advanced Snowatcher

this is one of them http://www.ownerdirect.com/big-white...-rentals/21785 although they don't rent it out that often as they also use it themselves heaps.

They have another 2 bedroom one in the same building but I am not exactly sure which one it is. If you are keen I can put you in touch with them if you like.

Extreme Snowatcher

Many thanks Crystal. I will show the other half and will let you know She's at work until late so I probably won'te get back to you until the weekend
    Do it the snow way!

Advanced Snowatcher

Okay...so I got it right, this is the one they would rent to you if you like

We have stayed there many times and love it, it's huge. We had 4 adults and 2 kids last time. Both rooms easy fit a porta cot if you need.... actually you could probably fit 3-4 cots in the main bedroom it's that big .

Anyway let me know.

karen97

I wanna come too Chunky! Do you need a personal Chef?

Advanced Snowatcher

If you can nanny as well you can come on our trip

Extreme Snowatcher

Ok, this isnt a Chunky family thread hihjack but it does relate to family trips to canuckada! I'm hoping that answers to this question may also be useful to the chunkys (or anyone else's) trip in 2011 so I'll ask it here.

I need suggestions for things to see and do for me & 2 teens (17 & 16 year old) in vancouver, out of vancouver, road trips etc etc. Ski resort activities are well covered (ski'n, tube'n, sled'n etc) but I'm looking for another 4/5 days worth of activities to keep J1 & J2 amused. I'm even considering driving to sun peaks via a large detour if there was stuff worth checking out.

So.... suggesti away troops!
    Winter is here!

Advanced Snowatcher

Catch a great hockey game in Vancouver

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

A scenic train ride?

Cat or Heli ski?

Gliding - there's one that soars over Heavenly. Maybe Whistler have the same.

Joy flight.

Google mueumms - near Death Valley the small local museum takes out tours.

Google 'tours' and Whistler - I bet there's tons of things from cruises to visiting pine trees.

Go to a Curling match.

Something with french or Indian culture?
    The Frog is a Prince

Xena

Jahoota - We had 3 teens in Vancouver for 2 days - it's bloomin' cold at that time of year, so not much is fun to them, when they are cold (other than skiing/snowboarding). If you are flying to LA first though - different story. We went to Six Flags Magic Mountain - awesome! And tripped out to Vegas and the canyon. My advice, get flights via LA. Definitely do an ice hockey game or two - teens, and adults, loved it.

Chunky - stay at Happy Valley - better for the age of your kids - if the unit Crystal linked to doesn't work out, let me know and I'll link to our alluradirect property - we stayed at Snowbird Lodge and friends stayed at another place up in the village.
    Last edited by Xena; 05-03-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xena View Post
    Jahoota - We had 3 teens in Vancouver for 2 days - it's bloomin' cold at that time of year, so not much is fun to them, when they are cold (other than skiing/snowboarding). If you are flying to LA first though - different story. We went to Six Flags Magic Mountain - awesome! And tripped out to Vegas and the canyon. My advice, get flights via LA..
    Wot she said. In LA last January we were in t'shirts strolling along the beach in the sun, and swimming in the mildly heated pool.

Your boyz won't want to play beach volleyball with bikini clad chicks either.

I think Southwest flies to Vancouvre. (I just ran our trip as Melb-LA or Melb-SFO and its heaps cheaper for us to change in LA to Sthwest and fly right into Reno. Free suitcase and ski bag too on Sthwest). And cheap to/from Vegas.

It gets dark around 7/8 pm iirc, rather than 3/4pm in Canuckland, and I can suggest a nice'ish place in Santa Monica that has a kitchen and is 100 yards to the beach, 100 yards to The Prominade shopping and busking strip. It was $US140 night, and the taxi (via the coast road) to the airport was $30-$40 b/c it avoids the freeway. Or there's Universal Studios who's annual pass is about $78 pp if you print off the internet purchase confirmation.

And Universal's 365-day pass is $US78.

Xena, where'd you stay at Grand Canyon?
    The Frog is a Prince

Extreme Snowatcher

Man some great info here. Keep it going
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Jahoota - not a hijack at all. Anyone that wants info on Canada throw it in here.

We are considering making a sidetrip to Seattle mainly so we can see the Museum of Flight. Even for non plane buffs it is still a very interesting time out there.

http://www.museumofflight.org/

http://www.spaceneedle.com/ The Space Needle Seattle

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/ Pike Place Markets

There is acutally a city pass that you can get for $54 that will allow you to see all that and either visit the aquarium there or a harbour cruise.

Back in Vancouver - hire bikes for the day and do Stanley Park. The aquarium in Stanley Park is very good.

Granville Island Markets - not sure how the teenagers will like it but hey there is food there!

If the bears weren't sleeping I wanted to see the bear enclosure at Grouse Mountain.

I'll add more ideas as I research them. Anyone else feel free to put stuff in.
    Do it the snow way!

Xena

Vet - we stayed in The Palazzo at Vegas (half price deal due to family member staff discount) and heli'd to the canyon for a day trip.

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Ta, the Pallzzio and Venecia have some pretty good deals. I was toying staying on the canyon's rim at Xenterra Resort but friends reckon Sedona is great. Staying on the rim is more tempting, unless I roll out of bed
    The Frog is a Prince

karen97

Sedona is a fantastic place!

Extreme Snowatcher

Lots of walking. Awesome area.
    Do it the snow way!