Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Podlettte

The learners book I had a flick through recently at the mac RTA stated it was a learners permit which could be revoked, but no record or points attributed to the learner. I think I remember reading the fully licensed driver incurs the $$ fine, but memory is a bit hazy on that.

SA

It's true that learner's licences don't run on the demerit point system but they can be cancelled/lost for offences all the same.

BrumbyJack

On the radio this morning it said there were 2 fatalities :(

It also said there were 3 separate accidents, involving 5 cars. 2 were single vehicle accidents, the first involved 2 cars and a 3rd vehicle running off the road trying to avoid them.

Intermediate Snowatcher

:(

karen97

Originally posted by finrz:
    Yeppo :(

Thats no good.

Seems like tail gating was factor if cars had to run off the road to avoid the accident ahead. Not many people leave a safe gap these days.

On Sydneys motorways people have absolutely no idea. Travel at 110km/hr about 5m from the car in front. If you leave a safe gap whilst trying to wait for the lane to clear in front people go around you in the left lane so they can sit 5m from the car in front. These sort of pile ups will be more and more common if this trend continues.

Intermediate Snowatcher

Originally posted by BrumbyJack:
    On the radio this morning it said there were 2 fatalities :(

It also said there were 3 separate accidents, involving 5 cars. 2 were single vehicle accidents, the first involved 2 cars and a 3rd vehicle running off the road trying to avoid them.
    Police media statement:

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/la...ZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D
    GGGGGGGGGranville, ffffffetch your cloth

Was a huge hail storm through the area at the time. The roads were covered with hail stones, all was white like snow. Would have made the roads very slippery.

Also caused lengthy power outages to the area from the car that hit a pole.

popshuvit

I feel sorry for those families of the people involved.
    But it really fustrates me when you see how impatient people are driving on the country roads.
    While I was driving up to Perisher last week, I was driving to the conditions, as there was snow & some ice on the road.
    Some idiot in a 4WD right behind me got the sh!ts with my driving (I was under the speed limit, but with snow etc on the road, and chains not required, I was being cautious), so on a stretch of road before you get to smiggins, and double line, he though he was fabio & overtook me at high speed.
    That wasn't the only time, but why can't people have a bit more patience.
    Sure, you may be 10, 15 or 30 mins later than what you expect, but it would surely save people the distress of identifying their relatives in the local morgue.

Snowatch Patroller

anything to get 2 cars ahead of you in the carpark pops!!!
    Whatever!

popshuvit

or the chair in front of me on the village 8 pol...

Snowatch Patroller

I think you get my drift
    Whatever!

Extreme Snowatcher

Originally posted by popshuvit:

But it really fustrates me when you see how impatient people are driving on the country roads.
    This.

If people are sticking up my but while driving up the hill I'll just pull over as soon as I can to let them past.

Although I had to laugh the other night when some id10t over took me lower down the hill only for me to pass him while he was stopped to put on chains. Thank you AWD.
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

BrumbyJack

I see idiots driving to work every day.

I saw an exceptionally bad one a few weeks ago, so I took details and reported him to the police.

I believe they were laying charges as I wasn't the only person to complain and we all identified the same vehicle.

Podlettte

there are idiots everywhere, however last Saturday on the drive up to perisher was particularly outstanding!

Coming around right hand sweeping bend that brings you to the hill above sponars heading up to perisher we were overtaken by many 4WD's which was fine. We had chains on as we'd been directed to fit them so were going the regulation 30-40km/hr etc. as we came to the end of the bend cars were still over taking past the end of the overtaking section and at the end of the line of overtakers was a Honda jazz with chains on who didn't complete the over taking until they'd almost reached the top of the hill. So they were totally blind to what was over the hill and traveling at around 50-60+ at a rough guess.

Idiocy! if something had come over the hill everyone would have been toast!

then there was the 4WD's overtaking at ridiculous speeds but at least with clear road ahead and plenty of space to do so, on the downhill section.

We'd pulled over to check the chains as I thought one was a bit loose.

Podlettte

posted recently on the other site.

quote: pas

I was in the accident.
    Our vehicle approached the scene (looks like it was a head on collision caused by black ice and NOT speeding - one car (Monaro) was all scrunched up and the other stationwagon on its side, with the 3rd vehicle overturned in the embankment - he swerved to miss the accident and then rolled).
    We approached the scene, slowed down to stop and hit debris and skidded across the road thru the fence and into paddock. We were all OK (my husband was driving and our 4 (boy) and 2 (girl) year old were in the back. Our car (Toyota Kluger had 2 tyres blown and all the front was damaged thus meaning that it had to be towed.

The experience was horrible - raining, cold and all in shock.

But what distressed me the most (as I called 000 on my mobile and approached the cars on foot thru the mud) is the slowness of the ambulances arriving.
    If it had been my 4 yr old son or 2 yr old daughter injured I would have been extremely distraught. Apparently (when the tow truck eventually towed our vehicle and family (all sat up in the truck) into Cooma, he mentioned that Cooma hospital is virtually closed and that they only have skeleton staff. There was another accident approx 500m up the road from ours, and I'm still wondering if the other ambulances had to travel from Canberra as I don't think they were there until after 6.

Anyway we overnighted it in Cooma and eventually returned home safely to Sydney tonight, but it was awful, and not an experience I'll fondly remember, especially as it was extremely hard work with 2 little ones in the snow......(for the first time).
    [size="1"][ 12. August 2009, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Podlettte ][/size]