Beginner Snowatcher

Default Japan Skiing 2011 - any advice for a budget yet comfy holiday.. destinations.. pls!

Want to organise a 2011 ski holiday in Japan with wife and little boy - could anybody suggest resort which would be good for a budget, yet comfortable, stay..?!
    SDS only affects money strugglers, sadly im one of them....dammm

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Japan's not my area, but definitely keep an eye on the jetstar sales.

Also bear in mind that, with a child, there's lots of connections with delays at airports, carting the boy from terminals, tiny bedrooms and 'yukkie' food.

Personally I'd go somewhere like Heavenly with a large unit (rather than a squeezy pension/backpackers/hotel room in Japan) with a kitchen and room to move.
    Last edited by Vet; 08-02-2010 at 09:57 AM.
    The Frog is a Prince

Extreme Snowatcher

Re Vet's comments, I had a couple of really large rooms in Japan, but they can also be small. I had one connection on my Jetstar flight each way with only a minor delay because of heavy air traffic at Sydney airport on my return. I set out in the morning and arrived early evening with a minimum of fuss. My nephews like nothing better than a sushi train and are as happy as pigs in mud with a bowl of noodles, so it depends what sort of food your child usually eats and how adventurous he is as to whether or not you may have yucky food issues.

There are a number of ways of getting to and from resorts and a lot will depend on your budget, how long you want to go for, the age of your little boy and whether or not he's easy to travel with, if you want lessons and lift tickets included, hotel or apartment, etc. Your decisions may also be influenced by you and your wife's previous travel experiences.

I'd be inclined to start picking through the travel threads and reading some trip reports here as well as getting hold of a couple of brochures from travel companies and looking online at Japan ski packages. This may give you a clearer picture of what type of holiday may suit you. Keep in mind doing it solo can be substantially cheaper, but does require a little effort and research.
    Skier: one who pays an arm and a leg for the opportunity to break them

Hakuba is probably the cheapest quality resort:
    Limousine Bus to Shinjuku.
    Limited Express train to Hakuba - it's better than 4hrs on the highway bus & cheaper than the Nagano Shink.
    Lots of cheaper lodges there.

Otherwise Nozawa Onsen, which has a nice onsen village.
    Last edited by blutek; 10-02-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Legolas

Default Re: Japan Skiing 2011 - any advice for a budget yet comfy holiday.. destinations.. pl

skeeta, we took three kids (aged 8, 6 and 3) to Japan a couple of years ago and we had a fantastic time with not one yucky experience (except listening to rude drunk ozzies in a few Niseko restaurants).

Niseko is very very family and Western friendly. We are so glad we made it our first foray with littlies because:

1) Tokyo is not far (8 hours I think it was). Our flight left Sydney at 10 at night. Kids slept nearly the entire flight. we connected in Tokyo (you need to bus about half an hour or more between airports which was fascinating for kids to see anyway) to Sapporro where we had a two night stopover for the ice festival (early Feb and well worth the stopover...google it). We then caught the bus to the snowfields. It stops on the way for snacks, and again, the kids slept most of that trip (2 hours or so I think).

2) Most people in Niseko (and indeed Tokyo and Sapporro) will make a huge effort to understand your feeble attempts at Japanese. Many will even speak English (but don't let that stop you encouraging your son to learn a few phrases...they are very polite people and appreciate the effort).

3) Niseko has a few fun shops and plenty of good restaurants to eat at. You can get western food...but why would you when the Japanese ramen soups, pastries, hot choccies are so good. A few of the bigger hotels on the snowfields do whopping buffet lunches etc and you will find something good to eat there without a doubt.

4) the ski school have english speaking instructors and operate much like thredboland.

5) The slopes are wide wide wide and gentle enough for everyone to have fun on or off piste with plenty of trees to play in and plenty of scary stuff up higher for thrill seekers.

6) There are plenty of western style accomodations. We booked through deep powder travel. The beauty of that being everything was taken care of. transfers, accomodation, lift passes. There are also little buses that putter around the village all day so you don't have to walk far. You can even catch the bus into Kutchan for a cultural experience.

In short, it's got it all.

AT WHAT PRICE?

I understand it is much busier than other ski areas and possibly a bit dearer. We found it no dearer than an ozzie ski holiday (but with a ****load more fluffy snow) and no more crowded than Thredbo in holiday time except with a lot more lifts to choose from. Meh, for my buck it was the best place to start and I think we'd go back there one more time before venturing further into Japanese hills.

good luck

legs

Beginner Snowatcher

Default Re: Japan Skiing 2011 - any advice for a budget yet comfy holiday.. destinations.. pl

Thanks guys for your help, much appreciated, Legs very informative mate thanks for that, i have 3 kids under 6 myself but were only going to take the eldest, hes had 3 seasons on the slopes at PB but the other 2 are a bit young yet, we had a quick look at Niseko but decided on Hakuba i think but still open to helpful suggestions, thanks people..........
    SDS only affects money strugglers, sadly im one of them....dammm