Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Xena

Default Re: Canada airfare question

So, what would be a good price (by good I mean cheapest) to go form Brisbane to PAris around the 11th of Dec and return around the 23rd of Jan. All my quotes so far say about $2600 tax inclusive. I got this price is with both Qantas, Singapore Air and Air France. I would prefer Singapore Air. Thoughts??? I will also post this question in my own Flights to France thread, so I don 't hijack this one, so please answer in there.

Extreme Snowatcher

Will look to not fly Air China but they have the first flights up to 8 Dec from Bris to Van from $1468. First flights I have seen for this time.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

I suppose it is too early for cheap flights on AC to Canada. What are people's thoughts on China Airlines?
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Chunky, look for a thread by Xena. She posted a thread on her family's trip, flying China Air or Air China (there's a number of airlines with similar names), via Teipei. Iirc, they had a stop-over in Taiwan as part of the fare, and then flew on Air China (or whatever its called) onto Canada.

As for my thoughts, at the time Xena was flying Air China for maybe a $1k less than Qantas per person, I opted for a Jetstar sale seat to/from Japan, a week's skiing on the way there (and back) and a United flight to San Francisco. At the time, that was about $800 pp less than Qantas. More snow, fewer Temples, and a hefty saving at a time return fares looked like they'd hit $3k per person.
    The Frog is a Prince

Xena

Vet is right - China Airlines was about a $1000 cheaper per person and we didn't really see too much difference between it and Qantas (flew Qantas the year before). The stopover in Taipei helped break the trip up for the kids - on the way over it was a few hours to stretch the legs, get some food, a little duty free shopping and free internet, a big screen x-box and massage chairs (all free at the airport). On the way back, the stopover was more like 10 hours, so we had a free half day tour of Taipei, went up Taipei 101 and had free day use of a hotel (which we didn't use) included in the fare. It gave us a little something else to look forward to after the ski holiday had ended. Check them out -
    http://www.china-airlines.com/en/index.htm

Extreme Snowatcher

Did you fly out of Brisbane or have to go via Sydney?
    Do it the snow way!

Xena

Out of Brisbane.

Xena

Our friends went to Vancouver a couple of days later than us via Air Canada and it wasn't any quicker than the way we went, as they had to fly to Sydney first.

Extreme Snowatcher

That would have to be you think the flight via Honolulu.
    Do it the snow way!

usacanada

cheapest fares just about always thru beautiful LAX(not).

Sometimes is actually cheaper to get cheap fare to LA & then separate tickets from there.

Some fares go up 10 Dec as some airlines go from low season to high season then, but not the case with all carriers.

Some airlines have non-seasonal fares, which are around $1700, but then just need to find these cheap seats in both directions.

Some airlines throw in LA/Vancouver ofr a subsidised $150 only inc bloody canadian taxes.

Main_Street

Quote Originally Posted by chunky View Post
    We are prepared to take the kids out earlier at the end of the year as it looks like we will only lose a week of school rather than the first few weeks of the new year.
    Have you looked at KAL ??

Main_Street

I suppose it is too early for cheap flights on AC to Canada. What are people's thoughts on China Airlines?

Several "Tragics" have flown with them ..... No complaints!

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

In the days of airfares skyrocketing faster than a Wall Street Banker's Xmas Bonus, Xena's family flew with a chinese airline via Taiwan for about $900 less pp than the other airlines were charging at the time. Iirc, Xena couldn't fault the airline, and there was a 10 hour stop over in Teipei with a free hotel room for a wash up n snooze, and some hours left over for a tour. whether that saving is still around in today's climate has to be assessed.

Can you mix points plus cash: our trip in 2011 to LA is $1000 each + 33k each of ff points

Or look at something like Jetstar to Hawaii or Japan with a jaunt to the US/Canada?

Or look at one way flights. Yesterday we flew out of LA and recently the VA site for USA loggeronnerers was offering $738US return (LA-Melb-LA) and $500-odd one way flights.
    The Frog is a Prince

Extreme Snowatcher

I'm not sure what you mean about Main Street. He has been a mainstay particularly on Sno Info for a very long time and has visited here for a long time as well.
    Do it the snow way!

Snowatch Patroller

I'm not sure what you mean about Main Street. He has been a mainstay particularly on Sno Info for a very long time and has visited here for a long time as well.
    Main_Street

Beginner Snowatcher
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Posts 4

I'm not sure 4 posts rated as a very long time Chunky

I agree the general gist about usacanada, usadeals, whoeverthefarkhegoesby does seem a wee dodgy
    Whatever!

Snowatch Patroller

but then asgain, if he visits and doesn't post, does that count
    Whatever!

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Crikey I just ran my Jan-Feb dates thru Bestflights and the price was $2120 just for Mel-LA-Melb. I'm glad I booked VA a while ago for $1000 + 33k of points. (The 2012 trip will definitely not be over school holidays)

Are you circumventing clauses that say wholesalers can't undercut retailers if selling to the public. So the wholesaler uses 'introduction agents' to 'sell' at a lower price. The introduction agent then uses the agent's trust account. Is that how you're operating?
    Last edited by Vet; 10-04-2010 at 05:06 AM.
    The Frog is a Prince

Main_Street

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    Main_Street

Beginner Snowatcher
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Posts 4

I'm not sure 4 posts rated as a very long time Chunky

I agree the general gist about usacanada, usadeals, whoeverthefarkhegoesby does seem a wee dodgy
    Do a search under "Main Street" (without the underscore) ..... For some reason my original login fell off the planet & I just got a new one.

Chunky, Xena, Spiceman, Paul & The Frog all know who I am..... & how long I've been here......

Main_Street

Quote Originally Posted by Vet View Post
    Crikey I just ran my Jan-Feb dates thru Bestflights and the price was $2120 just for Mel-LA-Melb. I'm glad I booked VA a while ago for $1000 + 33k of points. (The 2012 trip will definitely not be over school holidays)

Are you circumventing clauses that say wholesalers can't undercut retailers if selling to the public. So the wholesaler uses 'introduction agents' to 'sell' at a lower price. The introduction agent then uses the agent's trust account. Is that how you're operating?
    I've got Syd - Vancouver - Syd 24 Jan - 12 Feb for $1546 per head ...... So,... with a hire car out of Vancouver for 19 days, the all up cost is $3700 for 2 people.

Snowatch Patroller

all good MS.........
    Whatever!