Extreme Snowatcher

Lately we have had quite a few car accident fatalities on roads we travel everyday.
    I would like to know what people think of the flowers, crosses and other items of remembrance on the roadside. Should they be there or not?
    I am interested in peoples thoughts and feelings on this. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "My motives are complex and often internally contradictory." - David Walsh

SnowSnow

It reminds people of the effect of negligent driving. And In a lot of cases the accidents could and probably should have been avoided.

Wolverine

I'll second that SnowSnow.

BrumbyJack

I agree with Snow Snow.

It brings it to your attention and reminds us that we are all mortal beings... We all need to be careful.

In SA they actually erect markers with the number of fatalities and injuries at accident point.

I think really over the top displays are probably less appropriate, but who am I to tell a grieving family how they can or can't display their grief. I find a simple marker, cross or plaque a sobering reminder.

Extreme Snowatcher

So far I agree with all that has been said. It's very sad. There is an arguement that some displays - I guess the over the top ones can be distracting in themselves especially if they are in a black spot and you're looking at that rather than concentrating on the road.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Originally posted by BrumbyJack:
    [Q]
    I think really over the top displays are probably less appropriate, but who am I to tell a grieving family how they can or can't display their grief. I find a simple marker, cross or plaque a sobering reminder. [/Q]
    I agree, seeing flowers etc makes you think about the loved ones left behind & how just a split second could change your own families lives forever.
    The hwy around here sadly has way too many bunches of flowers lovingly left. :(

Extreme Snowatcher

I remember driving that road down there from Omeo to the coast and there are crosses and official road signs warning of the dangers everywhere.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Within 15 minute drive of home, there are four spots where flowers are kept fresh and I know of ten others that lost their life on this one stretch of road, four in the last three months.
    Its depressing just going about day to day life.

Plenty more when you head up the Great Alpine road.

Extreme Snowatcher

The Alpine Road is a tricky drive if you don't give it enough respect. Plenty of grief spots along that road. And even driving it carefully is not always going to keep you safe from the hidden hazards and the impatient ones.
    Do it the snow way!

the ones near here, are on open highway that has plenty of overtaking lanes. The majority have been in the rare wet conditions, with speed and inattention a big factor. Sure the roads could probably be better, but I think driver error and as Chunky said, impatience has a huge bearing.
    There have also been pedestrian deaths because there are no crossing points in the small towns, and the speed limit is only dropped to 80.

We live in a rural residential area, with houses as close as you'd want them, and our street to nowhere has an unrestricted speed limit. Stupid

[size="1"][ 26. May 2009, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: tambo ][/size]
    come on, just SNOW!

DHS

We live in a rural residential area, with houses as close as you'd want them, and our street to nowhere has an unrestricted speed limit. Stupid

Do you mean no limit at all? I can't believe there are still any of those in Vic. That's just plain stupid, and there are houses on the road.....

[size="1"][ 27. May 2009, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: DHS ][/size]

karen97

I liked the system they have in Tassie, they mark the spots where accidents occur with a black or red cross

The_Manifesto

We no longer have unrestricted speed limits in Australia, the Northern Territory was the final place to introduce a speed limit. The national speed limit is 110 with the exception on the NT 130 and ACT 100. the only place where there is no speed limit is on private roads and race tracks.

Deaths on roads come down to three main things, poor quality or roads (especially in country areas), poor driver education and tests that are to easy to pass (bring in the German system) an fatigue due to the huge distances we travel and such a low speed limit. Germany has fewer deaths per capital and an unlimited speed limit ion the autobahns. How does this happen?? Excellent driver education, difficult stringent driver tests and good road quality.

Remember when speed and red light camera's were introduced the thing to got them through was the promise that all revenue raised would go back into the roads, sadly this has not happened. In NSW alone some $80 million a year is raised from speed and red light camera's

Originally posted by The_Manifesto:

Deaths on roads come down to three main things, poor quality or roads (especially in country areas), poor driver education and tests that are to easy to pass (bring in the German system) an fatigue due to the huge distances we travel and such a low speed limit. Germany has fewer deaths per capital and an unlimited speed limit ion the autobahns. How does this happen?? Excellent driver education, difficult stringent driver tests and good road quality.

I agree 100% with this, our education system regarding driving, road usage and respect for other road users is disgraceful. The fact is that all you need to do to get your license in Australia is prove you can drive around suburban streets under 50km/h and reverse park. What a joke. I have grown up around race tracks (both cars and bikes) and I consider people from that background to generally be safer road users. Notice I did say "generally". Driving a car on public roads is the same as walking down the street with a cocked gun. One slip and you could kill someone, even yourself. I find it extremely unnerving that I am forced to share the roads every day with people who don't feel the same way.
    \"To alcohol; the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems!\" - Homer J. Simpson

Extreme Snowatcher

Originally posted by DHS:

Do you mean no limit at all? I can't believe there are still any of those in Vic. That's just plain stupid, and there are houses on the road.....
    No she means that half way up the road, there is a speed sign that says - END 80. So you are free to do the state speed limit of 100.