Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Default Kulture

Pullout those passports and piggy banks coz there might be some nice fares on sale. (Jetstar and Vaustralia should advertise on snowatch)

Do you guys have any great deals you've found on accom, lifts or transfers?

What, in $A, should a solo traveller, couple or family budget on spending?

Has anyone looked into whether AAC Niseko Lodge and the 'total cost' of skiing Niseko is so good value for money that its worth being a member. Or is it cheaper and safer to 'diy' holidays at different places in Japan?
    Last edited by Vet; 06-01-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: this thread's on kulture now
    The Frog is a Prince

ausi ski bum

Niseko is over priced and over rated, there are much better deals else where like the one bedroom apartment I have at Furano for $200 per night and the room at the Towers at Tomamu for $180 per night, including breakfast. Then there is the Nice corner room at the Sahoro Resort for $400 per night for two, including, breakfast, dinner and lift tickets.

the best value season for Japan is early March, plenty of snow, no people and very very good deals to be had.

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Cripes, ASB. $A200 a night!!!! Does that include a geisha girl
    The Frog is a Prince

Podlettte

Default Re: Jetstar Sale 6am Boxing Day, Japan Questions

http://nisekopowderholidays.com/base-lodge.html

that's where we stayed, in the room pictured in the 4th photo. it's a twin room with a futon, so you could do triple share. In 07 it cost us $1200 AUD for the week for the 2 of us including breaky every day which was eggs however you wanted them, cereal, freshly made bread (every day, smells great walking down to freshly cooked bread) tea+coffee (neither of us drink coffee so no idea what it was like) and there was generally bread left after breaky and put in the fridge or left out covered and you could make yourself a sandwich if you had your own fillings.

Toilets on each level with bathrooms (shower next to huge baths (onsen?) without the sulphur water though) on the main floor level.

Ski locker room with outside access for lodgers and tuning room. vending machines in the foyer

Prices on snowjapan show the quad room is 65000yen/pp per night

ausi ski bum

Vet that 200 a night is for a one bedroom Apartment with Lounge and bathroom etc, perfect for the two of us, a similar apartment last time I was in Niseko was $460 per night (ok it had two bedrooms).

The Towers at Tomamu are interesting, I had a number of quotes from Australian suppliers over $400 per night but I found a Japanese site where I got a much better deal.

In other words, take your time, do the research and get the best deals.

Intermediate Snowatcher

Just to contrast and compare, I can get a two bedroom apartment (2 room + lounge in a hotel/pension, suits 6 people, 3 per bedroom, with bathroom) at Hakuba for around $450 AUD per night. Includes breakfast in the dining room.
    Last edited by Sandy; 26-12-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

I better research this some more. The low airfares are almost a 1/3rd of those to the US but the accom sounds small, 'communal' and overpriced.

If not for freeloading rellies who restocked me with a year's supply of sox n jocks, I had my eye on

- $1275 in premium economyto LA via Sydney;
    - return to Melbourne non stop direct $593 in economy,
    - LA-Reno on Southwest, return, ~$A150;
    - return shuttle bus $US50
    - taxi fromthe bus bay to the condo $US50
    - 3 bedroom condo with 2 bathrooms $A314 for 7 nights;
    - use of the season passes for 'free' lifts (with $50US 'buddy passes' for family or friends, $45US Kirkwood passes for use 3-156 January, $59 Northstar tickets, 'ski 4 days, get 5th day free' at Squaw for pals);
    + $US60-$95 per night x 7 nights in a 2 bedroom with 2 queen beds and a kitchen, lounge, washing machine, dryer, clothes drier, microwave, full size fridge, plates, cutlery,pots pans.

total under $3k

Compare that to $A3,500 for just a Jetstar flight at $700 return and $2,800 of accom x 14 nights at Pods' or ASB's place.
    Last edited by Vet; 26-12-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    The Frog is a Prince

Podlettte

There are much cheaper places to stay, and that's the thing with Japan - if you go expecting western style accommodation, think again. You can get it but it's pricey, and for me the point of travelling is to experience the culture, not just stay in something that's familiar to me and ski....

Podlettte

The place we're staying at in Hakuba in Feb is much cheaper and is pension style, but that's japan and part of the appeal of the place

Xena

Quote Originally Posted by Podlettte View Post
    http://nisekopowderholidays.com/base-lodge.html

that's where we stayed, in the room pictured in the 4th photo. it's a twin room with a futon, so you could do triple share. In 07 it cost us $1200 AUD for the week for the 2 of us including breaky every day which was eggs however you wanted them, cereal, freshly made bread (every day, smells great walking down to freshly cooked bread) tea+coffee (neither of us drink coffee so no idea what it was like) and there was generally bread left after breaky and put in the fridge or left out covered and you could make yourself a sandwich if you had your own fillings.

Toilets on each level with bathrooms (shower next to huge baths (onsen?) without the sulphur water though) on the main floor level.

Ski locker room with outside access for lodgers and tuning room. vending machines in the foyer

Prices on snowjapan show the quad room is 65000yen/pp per night

Wow - cheap and sooooo clean.

Extreme Snowatcher

.....for me the point of travelling is to experience the culture, not just stay in something that's familiar to me and ski....
    Snap. But I get the impression Vet is organising a ski holiday rather than a travel experience. Of course, I'm not suggesting you can't have both at the same time. However, if minimum dollars and maximum snow is the main criteria for the trip, I'm not sure how much of another country's culture you're likely to experience.
    Skier: one who pays an arm and a leg for the opportunity to break them

ausi ski bum

Thats why the trip I have planned now has as much about Japanese culture included, I am staying three nights at a Sounyko Spa Resort Hotel and three nights up in Abashiri. I tend to ski a day and tour around a day. Thats why I go for longer (three weeks this trip, three last and four the one before that.

To be fair however when you have a Young family its may be a little less about culture and a lot more about value for money and comfort zones of the kids.

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnoWhite View Post
    Snap. But I get the impression Vet is organising a ski holiday rather than a travel experience. Of course, I'm not suggesting you can't have both at the same time. However, if minimum dollars and maximum snow is the main criteria for the trip, I'm not sure how much of another country's culture you're likely to experience.
    Staying at Pensions, Hiltons or whatever aren't the same as living and skiing with locals imo.

at Reupeho, we can stay in club lodges with bunk beds and race with their clubbers, or the Chateau. the former appeals to me because iits living with locals. Then go open a legal conference and get taken around NZ by locals. They organised a conference date one year because we said we wanted a ski.

in the US we've had/will have

- chats to people at the Reno primaries. 2 weeks later, the Sirra Sun reported that Hilary and Obama had a new policy - one Kevin Andrews and other turned down.

- chat with hispanics and blacks and whites, surgeoeons, lawyers, and gun toting Republicans in a dead Beatles' limo
    - ski with an ol friend whose family run a resort in Utah;
    - stay at Vail with a local;
    - ski with a model cover girl from Chicago. She's flying over from Europe to catch up for a weekend. We put her on her first cover years ago;
    - stay with her in Chicago;
    - ski with some who, in the 80s, trained with the old east german pentathalon team;
    - admission to the 'old olympians' VIP tent at Squaw (I'm awaiting the pass). ;
    - retro party at Squaw this Saturday night;
    - ski with locals;
    - ski with the Masters down slopes the locals know;
    - ski with WoF at his resort
    - ski with Kort and Born2Ski
    - ski with Hairfarmr and Briansnoski;
    - ski with Boardingbunny
    - ski with a resort's Noelle & Leslie down some awesome terrain
    - eat Hairfarmr's world famous spag and other delights. No one bakes like he can. Anyone know when Masterchef next auditions???
    - drink local booze with locals who speak english (sort of). After a few, I can understand them anyway.
    - invited to race for the Squaw Valley team (but I did my leg);
    - open a ski run and present a blessed boomerang to the resort;
    - get an avi guide and ski around (and free tix)
    - get taken in limos by LA locals to see LA;
    - shop at their Safeway!!
    - chat with locals on the balcony of a bar when my leg was stuffed at Kirkwood;
    - huck steep terrrain or just cruise with +1;
    - maybe catski with Hairfarmr's pals;
    - nearly got a film deal with a group that took the likes of JT Holmes and McConkey out filming and skiing with the mere mortals.

Most of the photos have locals showing me their resort, and a cornice.

Staying in a Japanese hotel or pension isn't the same.
    The Frog is a Prince

Advanced Snowatcher

I most definately look forward to experiencing Vet's type of holiday. I hope to meet Hairfarmr, and prolly Taxi, but the sounds of that team but Ive also had lots of fun and made great friends skiing in Aus.

I havent done a lot of travelling, but when we went to Japan (on tour) last season, I made a day out to see the sights.

I met other Aussies, watching the soccer at the pub and others I use to work with. I attempted a massive rail set up for a comp with cheers and encouragement from the locals. They were so much more encouraging than australian resorts for new comers to the parks.

My trip to the states is based in being a Ski Trip, but family orientated and nice and cruisy. I dont want to rush. I want to enjoy, Staying in Tahoe, seemed a good idea as we can choose from a variety of locations.
    If swimmings good for your figure, explain whales to me

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boardingbuny View Post
    I most definately look forward to experiencing Vet's type of holiday. I hope to meet Hairfarmr, and prolly Taxi, but the sounds of that team but Ive also had lots of fun and made great friends skiing in Aus. ...Staying in Tahoe, seemed a good idea as we can choose from a variety of locations.

Taxi has to do beancounting here when you're there

We're catching up with a 'Buller' family at Heavenly and other Bullerites. Lil Vet will have a couple of teenagers to hit the slopes with, rather than dear ol dad.

the variety at Tahoe is great. Maybe the snow's bigger, whiter, fluffier elsewhere, but I've found the Californians, especially at smaller resorts, very easy going. When my leg was cactus, they ferried beers back n forth to see if its true we drink a lot. that was a cultural experience.
    The Frog is a Prince

Extreme Snowatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Vet View Post
    Staying at Pensions, Hiltons or whatever aren't the same as living and skiing with locals imo.
    I agree. I never said it was. Personally I prefer to travel in countries where their way of life is as different as possible to ours and in some small way try and experience something of what it would be like to live in their environment. Whilst countries such as the US, UK, NZ and Canada have a more similar way of life to ours than say Japan, India or Egypt, they all have their unique cultures to be experienced and enjoyed. I did suggest it is possible to have a travel experience as well as a ski holiday at the same time.
    Skier: one who pays an arm and a leg for the opportunity to break them

Podlettte

Quote Originally Posted by ausi ski bum View Post
    Thats why the trip I have planned now has as much about Japanese culture included, I am staying three nights at a Sounyko Spa Resort Hotel and three nights up in Abashiri. I tend to ski a day and tour around a day. Thats why I go for longer (three weeks this trip, three last and four the one before that.

To be fair however when you have a Young family its may be a little less about culture and a lot more about value for money and comfort zones of the kids.

You going Ice breaker boating in Abashiri?

Make sure you go to the museum of the northern peoples, the relocated prison museum and the highlight...... the sea ice museum they have a toboggan run there, 1 free run with entry

outside abashiri station

Where are you staying while there? We stayed here - http://japantraveleronline.com/af/90...-detail/60004/

It's a bit north of the town, taxi ride for us, though if you have a car it's no issue. the food is great, though we did have an Iron Chef moment there. Set custard with raw fish eyes and other bits.... It was too much for me, but they serve so much it's not a problem. The price included dinner and breaky every night as it's a ryokan, and there's an onsen onsite.

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

we did have an Iron Chef moment there. Set custard with raw fish eyes and other bits.
    Is there a McDonalds in that town?
    The Frog is a Prince

Advanced Snowatcher

Yeah we got served that for breakfast most mornings at Nozawa Onsen....
    If swimmings good for your figure, explain whales to me

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boardingbuny View Post
    Yeah we got served that for breakfast most mornings at Nozawa Onsen....
    Fish eyes in custard! I bet they were laughing in the kitchen, and all the way to the bank.
    The Frog is a Prince