Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ausi ski bum

Yes doing the Ice Breaker Tour and the prison etc, even planning on visiting the small ski resort and snowmobile riding on the lake.

We are staying here, its a little more upmarket but we kind of like that .

http://japantraveleronline.com/af/90...-detail/60003/

We have a Toyota Rav 4 booked for the three weeks, one thing I learned very early in Japan is rent a car and retain your freedom to move, even at Niseko we had one and it was so much easier just driving and parking near the lifts. We have seen a lot of the country now and this will most likely be my last trip there for a while.

Advanced Snowatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Vet View Post
    Fish eyes in custard! I bet they were laughing in the kitchen, and all the way to the bank.

Gotta say, Not one of us ate anything bar the toast!!!
    If swimmings good for your figure, explain whales to me

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

I bet they knew you'd only eat toast if they serve 'fish eyes' every morning. Or maybe your Japanese needs work. After all, "I'll have a Mug of coffee" and "I'm a Mug" sound much the same.
    The Frog is a Prince

Extreme Snowatcher

The savory custard is probably chawan mushi. A friend of mine who lived in Japan for some years has made it for me a number of times. I love the delicate flavour and texture, though it seems to suit the western palatte better as an entree. Apparently it's not unusual for different regions to add things to the custard, including seafood. It's not what we're used to eating for breakfast, but I doubt they were laughing in the kitchen or to the bank. In many cultures it is considered important to utilise the whole animal/fish and many of the parts we waste and throw away are considered a delicacy. Must say that whilst the custard is beautiful, I doubt I'd cope with the fish eyes!
    Skier: one who pays an arm and a leg for the opportunity to break them

Podlettte

Default Re: Jetstar Sale 6am Boxing Day, Japan Questions

the custard wasn't for breakfast, it was in the 2nd course of dinner, next to the salmon fillet you cooked yourself on the hot rock thing and the tempura!

You'll love abashiri, it's by far the place with the heaviest snow Ive ever been, heaviest falls, not heavy snow, it was light and dry. the ski hill there looked like fun and the lakes are huge, so you'll have a ball snowmobiling

Vet - there is almost no english other than hello spoken by anyone we came across in abashiri, we didn't choose what we wanted for breaky or dinner, it's served to you at a U shaped bench overlooking a fish pond which is the dining room. you can have a private tatami room, but they were quite exxy. Since no english was spoken it was a little difficult to ask what was on the menu, we just had to suck it up and find out!

I didn't have an issue that the custard was part of the meal, more that I looked down after seeing my sisters reaction to putting a fish eye (raw) with some custard into her mouth, looked into my own bowl and had one staring back at me

The custard was just normal vanilla custard and was lovely.

breakfast was dried fish and rice and toast and eggs

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

To summarise

- you cannot communicate with anyone about anything;
    - you eat toast, eggs and vanilla custard;
    - and you put to one side of your plate the 'stuff' which we'd chuck in the rubbish bin;

And that's a cultural experience?
    The Frog is a Prince

Extreme Snowatcher

Nice summary Vet.

Yep, it's a cultural experience, as is

- skiing with a model cover girl from Chicago
    - eating Hairfarmr's world famous spag and other delights
    - drinking local booze with locals who speak english (sort of).
    - get taken in limos by LA locals to see LA;

Lucky for you I'd rather go to Japan, because it means one less Aussie in the US lift queues. I would however, like it noted that I'd prefer to be partaking of Hairfamr's food instead of fish eyes!

Podlettte

if you stayed in abashiri you'd have difficulties, but then it's a 1 lift ski hill not much more than 40m high so why would you? We were there for the ice breaker boating, you can't do that in the US! Sea ice drifts down from siberia

Extreme Snowatcher

I need to stop torturing myself in this travel forum. I'm just getting more depressed about not going anywhere this year. Might just have to check my powerball and lottery tickets at lunch time.

ausi ski bum

I found in Takayama and on Myajima Island off Hiroshyma the same thing, very little english spoken and the most amazing dining experience ever, we felt like we were judges on Iron Chef, had everything from Swallows nest to Blow Fish and jelly fish but it was the most amazing experience, I loved how when we got back to our room on the Island they phoned usand asked if we were all OK, I said yes of course then she tells me, thats good Blowfish can sometimes cause westerners a bad reaction.

I got on a bus in Takayama and asked the driver if he had a map and time table, he politely smiled and said yes, I then asked could I have one and again, polite smile and yes. I never did get a map and time table.

Advanced Snowatcher

Quote Originally Posted by ausi ski bum View Post

I got on a bus in Takayama and asked the driver if he had a map and time table, he politely smiled and said yes, I then asked could I have one and again, polite smile and yes. I never did get a map and time table.
    hehehe
    If swimmings good for your figure, explain whales to me

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Lol.

Saying 'yes' doesn't always work. I was asked in russian and a dozen languages if I wanted a prostitute. Saying 'yes' like your bus driver might've got me in trouble. (I replied ' Woolamaloo gungdagai kuringai etc'.)

Now, back to the guy on the bus saying 'yes'. how were you dressed, and was he hoping to get a ride?
    The Frog is a Prince

ausi ski bum

Takayama has a great bus service that runs from the Major hotels to the tourist sights and main locations on a regular basis, its very cheap and by far the best way to get around if you dont have a car. It was on this bus and he was ever so polite, I just found it very amusing.

I found the Taxi services in Japan very good and reasonably priced with the exception being at Niseko where they seemed to cost a lot more.

Agree that I like to include the cultural experience with the skiing. Unfortunately with Vet, he's hard to get off the hill if there is snow to be skied. The only way I got him up to Virginia City last year was because he'd bunged his knee and couldnít ski. But that said, had a great time with all the people we met last year through Vet's skiing and scamming.

Custard and fish eyes? I think I'll have to add that to the repertoire. Now can I get fish eyes in Rayleys or Safeway?
    Last edited by Taxman; 06-01-2010 at 02:17 PM.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Podlettte

I doubt rayley's or safeway would stock them, you might need to go to chian town in SFO before you head out

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Uuum, we're in a marina in the US

Grab a rod and gun for fresh frozen fish, tasty buffulo buffalo, or lip snackin' indian or mexicans.
    The Frog is a Prince

Podlettte

I ate buffalo in the US, at Targhee actually, and it was a meatloaf about an inch or more thick and almost bigger than the plate it was on

Snowatch Patroller

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    through Vet's scamming.
    and I thought he sounded so proper and everything by the book
    Whatever!

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

If I see opportunity, I just ask 'whattya think if ...'
    The Frog is a Prince