Beginner Snowatcher

Default Quick question about my car insurance coverage

Morning all!

Just needing your expert advice! I've booked my van to go travelling with and im just nutting out the insurance bits on the website etc. Now, my travel insurance covers excess up to $4000 in a trip and as far as i can see the van i've rented comes with standard insurance and excess of $1200 (per accident of course) http://www.escapecampervans.com/Insurance.html

Am i right in thinking that i dont really need to buy the additional insurance since i already have an excess cover and that the additional insurance only covers for the first incident/claim etc???

I found out about this in another forum and posted something which was shot down to being a newbie and not knowing anything! serves me right for wandering away from this friendly forum

Ta!
    Why skate on thin ice when i can tap dance?

Default Re: Quick question about my car insurance coverage

Just read the travel insurance carefully. Sometimes they have a clause that says you must take out all available car insurances and they will cover the rest. Also the travel insurance is I assume in AUD, the car insurance excess will be in the country of travel currecny, factor that in.

And finally in the event of an accident, you will have to pay the excess up front and then claim it back from the travel insurance co.

Beginner Snowatcher

when i emailed the company about the insurance information they just directed me to the web link.. which is very casual by any standards.
    Travelling to America so the exchange rate isn't too bad at the moment. and finally they don't actually hold the money on your card JUST an imprint of the details! i checked them out and they have a sister company in NZ so they seem legit?1?!

Podlettte

What skichic said, the only insurances you really need to take out in the US are the collision damage waiver and supplemental liability insurance (CDW and SLI) some rental companies are calling the SLI something else this year I noticed when looking for something the other day, can't think off the top of my head what it is.

Your travel insurance won't cover you at all unless you have at least them. It should be clearly explained in your insurance companies PDS what they do and don't cover or what they require from you If it's difficult to find, let them know you can't find what you need

Beginner Snowatcher

thanks. they are pretty lax with the information. i have emailed them again!
    what is a PDS? product disclosure statement im guessing!

last time i emailed the guy didnt even know what a LDW/CDW was!!! eeeek

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Gnomes, I looked at a campervan and I found a NZ company operating in San Francisco. Insurances were included.

I also have an email address somewhere for a guy in Reno. He rents 28' motorhomes for about $100 a day. (Personally I'd prefer a 2wd or 4x4 in winter rather than anything that might tip over).
    The Frog is a Prince

Podlettte

Did you check out the link Gnomes posted Vet? it's no bigger than the suburban (gosh I loved that car! )

PDS = product disclosure statement.

Keep on them gnomes, and check with the campervan people that the insurance they are offering covers all US stuff too, doesn't really say at the page you've linked to.

Only reason to be so certain about it all is the enormous medical costs over there, it would bankrupt most of us if you had an accident and you and others were injured

Beginner Snowatcher

Morning..
    i have a response and again i dont think it tells me what i need..

"Here is the link to our insurance/terms page:
    http://www.escapecampervans.com/Terms.html

You will see that depending on your age, you have a maximum liability level.
    You do have options to reduce this at the start of your rental.
    The Liabilty amounts of $1200 or $1700 relate to your maximum payment to Escape in the event of an accident We recommend taking out the maximum cover possible so you only have to pay a small amount if you are involved in an accident.

Regardless of any extra insurance taken, you do already have liability insurance of $1m for any damage to other persons or property.

Hope this helps"

i specifically asked that i needed to be sure they included CDW (although im fairly certain they dont know what it is). The above mentions liability insurance against damage to other persons or property but not the actual vehicle its self???

This is becoming frustrating.. but im glad im trying to get on in now at least.