Hi all!
    I'm looking for cross country ski/snowshoe buddy 08-10 Aug, NSW skifields.

I'm planning on driving my car (has all parks pass & roof racks) down on Friday after work, camping at Thredbo diggings (free) then getting chairlift up to main range for Sat and Sun (snow camping / snowcave overnight). If weather is looking too windy will head out from Guthega instead. Or if worst comes to worst a couple of day trips from somewhere.

Room for one or more people to share petrol, driving and good times!

I warn you now I am a crap cross country skiier with lots more enthusiasm than talent but if you don't mind going fairly slow I'm sure my face planting will be very amusing.

You must have- appropriate clothing, sleeping bag and groundmat for backcountry camping in below zero temperatures. I have some spare old style cross country skis if you don't have any, you can hire the old style boots from paddy pallin jindabyne for $30-50 for 2 days depending on weight/quality or hire the flash new cross country gear from pretty much everywhere.

I have four seasons tent, gps with topo, snow shovel and duty free vodka.

E-mail me if interested [img]smile.gif[/img]

ooooo interesting... are skinners allowed? ?
    ~Queen of Team edribble™ ~
    www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

skijacski

Sorry, I don't do overnight! But I do snowshoe and BC skinning.

Sure whatever floats your boat.

I just got some of the old skinny skies from Vinnies and like to truck about on them when I get the chance. They're certainly not made for performance but they're super fun.

No overnight! (cough cough wimp) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Advanced Snowatcher

Louisej If you want to venture out with us in Oct for 4 nights near Blue Lake you are very welcome. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Every snow flake is a miracle, lets not wast them.

Extreme Snowatcher

might be able to do early morning DHG run ...... but prob won't have time :(
    Mad Respect

I would like to give snowshoeing a crack, but my bf things I am mad for even considering it ;p

Extreme Snowatcher

snowshoeing is the hardest physical activity i have ever done

only worth it if you can slide back the way you came
    Mad Respect

skijacski

I find that a lot of people go out with snowshoes but forget the poles!

Using poles takes 40% of the energy used from the legs and makes the trip much more enjoyable.

In America you will find people running with special Tubbs running snowshoes, but they still use poles.

A great beginners trip is from the top of Kozi chair at Thredbo, behind Basin and Karels Tbar, and then down through the trees to Dead Horse Gap. I often take newby's down that way and they are hooked from then on.
    [img]graemlins/snow_cool.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ 27.07.2008, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: skijacski ][/size]

Snowshoing is very hard going in fresh snow especially when u sink thigh deep. I managed to damage my thigh muscle doing it not far in to my first BC trip the other week. There was quiet a few points were the thoughts of "what the hell are you doing turn around" came through my head. But once i actually got to camp and set up and rested a while i really enjoyed it and I will happily do it again. Though next time i may try hire a split board
    get out there and enjoy it id love to come but i cant sorry
    Is out of the sling :WOOHOO:

Snowshoeing wasn't that tiring on moderately firm snow but I remember wishing I had skis for most of the time, they are so much faster to just cruise along on the flat bits and gently zig zagging up hills seems less tiring than plodding up on snowshoes. Of course they take much less skill to use so are a great way to suss out if you like the backcountry or not.