Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Extreme Snowatcher

Oh and no broken nose just very tired, cold and frightened. It was still a great day apart from that. At no stage did we venture into areas where there would be avalanches. And the snow was awesomely deep in spots and was some of the best I have ridden.

I still think my ride up near Nelson in Canada was the best many years ago.

More to come soon...
    Do it the snow way!

karen97

Sounds like an awesome adventure Chunky Glad everyone is ok tho [img]smile.gif[/img]

Xena

Adventure, turned nasty, all problems solved, no serious injuries, laughing now - sounds like the stuff good memories are made of!!!! Go Chunky clan!!!

far out chunky that would have been scarey, esp with the kids on board!

Glad you're all safe [img]smile.gif[/img]

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

if that's a holiday, what do you do for thrills???
    The Frog is a Prince

Extreme Snowatcher

Final updates soon I promise.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Ok after our eventful day snowmobiling we decided to take it very easy the next day. We headed out to the Homestead to visit a volcanic crater that is a sinkhole of thermal water that you can scuba dive, snorkel or swim in. We didn't do that but it did look like it would be interesting.

We then headed out to look at the views of the mountains nearby and see what we could find.

The clouds opened up at the beautifully scenic Sundance. We didn't ski but scouted it out. Looks like a place to slide next time we are there.

We headed down to Soldier's Hollow just outside Heber City for some snow tubing for the family. Melanie didn't cooperate too much but everyone else had fun.

No crowds and plenty of seats to choose from to catch a few sunbeams. It was all dark and gloomy like in the background all around us except for where we were

Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Soldier's Hollow was one of the Salt Lake City Olympic Sites.

The next day we decided to go to the Olympic Park just outside Park City. We were very tempted to ski Deer Valley but the weather was inclement - I didn't mind the snow falling and to organise stuff for the 4 kids was weighing on us a bit so we decided to just do some more sight seeing.

+1 got to hold the Olympic torch!

Unknown to us at the time was a World Cup event in the skeleton and luge going on so we wandered up to the competition area to have a look. Two Aussie girls were in it and we cheered them on.

The British girl...

It was snowing fairly moderately so they were sweeping the track as much as they could between competitors. This next pic is a close up of the pic before and I stumbled on what I thought was pretty amazing clarity through the visor in the helmut for the zoom in through the snow falling.

The scoreboard with the Aussie girls on it. We didn't stay for the second round but both made it through the first round. But only just - slowest two went and last Aussie down was in the last spot for the second round.

This was going to be our last full day in Utah. Our very nice experience. We did see the temple in SLC at night briefly but took no photos of it and there appears to be some amazing skiing there. Park City was just delightful with its old buildings lining the streets that it sort of made the modern day cars and buses look out of place.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher
    Blog Entries

Great shots - especially the Brit's death ray eyes.
    The Frog is a Prince

bdenny4

That tubing thing looks like so much FUN!

karen97

Awesome pics Chunky

Extreme Snowatcher

I will eventually get the final ones up soon.
    Do it the snow way!

Podlettte

Hey Chunky, I missed this one first time round...

I see Arby's in the background, was there a steak place in the carpark the kids are in? if so we stayed at the same hotel on the 21st or 22nd Feb (US time)! [img]graemlins/big_laugh.gif[/img] were you there then?

Extreme Snowatcher

NO we just missed each other, which is a shame :(

Sounds like the same hotel? There was a heated pool in ours just to the right off shot.
    Do it the snow way!

Podlettte

I think we were at Holiday inn?

Intermediate Snowatcher

O chunky !! What a fabulous read (BB here).. I have so many questions for you.....

WOW! Gonna show Chicco your thread, and throw you a PM.

Extreme Snowatcher

Default Re: Chunky's USA Trip 2009

Bump for JSJ.
    Do it the snow way!

Advanced Snowatcher

Oh Chunky you are the best This has to be my favourite series of posts on Snowatch yet! I can't thank you enough for sharing all that you have.. your experiences and pics are nothing short of fantastic. Yes.. Steamboat is number one on my list.. and I plan to have a white Christmas there too. After reading and seeing how much fun you had with your family I am truely glad I decided to wait to share the experience with my hubby and kidlets too. Huge thanks Chunky.. huge thanks

Now I'm just wishing I had planned to do it this year with the damn Aussie dollar tasting so good.. bugger!
    Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?... Are we there yet?

Extreme Snowatcher

You're very welcome JSJ. There are so many choices over there.
    Do it the snow way!

Extreme Snowatcher

Bumping up so I can find it quicker. Why? I am slowly redoing some of my old photos. All of the photos in this thread were jpg edits. I luckily did some in raw so re-editing the entire trip and uploading to my blog. The narrative here jots my memory on what we did
    Do it the snow way!