Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermals

Hello
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good thermal? I've read that Icebreaker merino ones are great, and after checking their website they look good. I'm looking at checking their range at snowgum. I have prev had just poly ones but find they hold too much sweat (I perspire heaps!)
    Cheers
    Tass

Yep, Icebreakers only here. Bit pricey but well worth it.
    iBoard

Ditto.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Extreme Snowatcher

Everyone raves about the icebreaker.

Personally I don't rate them. I find I still get cold.

I brought a Burton one last year and it's toasty as. Love it.

It all come down to personal choice though.
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

Advanced Snowatcher

Besides Icebreaker, another brand to consider is Ibex...they make some rather nice merino wool base layers/thermals as well. +1 uses them and rarely complains of the cold. +1 feels the cold horribly (more then anyone I know) so if she says something is warm is must be

skijacski

I have the CW-X conditioning wear, which are insulator expert tights - you can get the tops too.

They are great for me as I really sweat it up, but they also are better than skins in that they are insulated.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/CWX...ghts-Mens.html

These are the mens, but I have the womens and they are specific for women - excellent in sizing.

Ski all day and no pain, then back to the slopes for 4 months without problems.

skijacski

Podlettte

I'm not really looking, I'm just browsing. Evil Jax!

Silence

Icebreaker are great if you perspire a lot.

Advanced Snowatcher

anything poly will hold the sweat and also hold the sweat smell.....if you do sweat a lot you should stick to the ones made out of natural fibres.
    I use a merino wool thremal shirt made by dri as a bone...then my jacket...thats plenty. Strangely I use exactly the same overseas in japan and the US
    Are there any paranoids in the audience tonight?

Thermals come in three main types, Polyester, Polypropelene and Merino Wool.

Polyester: Wick moisture well, but hold the stink badly, ok for warmth.

Polypropolene: Wick moisture well, stink after a while (but not as bad as polester) and are slightly better than Polyester for warmth.

Merino Wool: The warmest but don't wick moisture as well so if your sweating in them you may end up colder due to being wet.

I use Polypropolene when doing any sort of activity or when the temp is at risk of warming up and Merino in extreme cold temps or when not moving much (night time in the back country!)
    *insert witty comment here*

After reading the thread again, a couple of people are saying Poly (Poly propolene or polyester???) hold moisture and Merino is good if you perspire more.....I have found merino to hold moisture more than poly of either guise. I encourage you to ask this question in the BC forum on SI.....I think you will find concurrence with my experience.

Rover you say "natural fibres" are good.....surely you are not including cotton here......like writing a death warrant for anyone going BC and weather turning bad!

[size="1"][ 24.05.2008, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: John Deere ][/size]

Advanced Snowatcher

Originally posted by John Deere:
    After reading the thread again, a couple of people are saying Poly (Poly propolene or polyester???) hold moisture and Merino is good if you perspire more.....I have found merino to hold moisture more than poly of either guise. I encourage you to ask this question in the BC forum on SI.....I think you will find concurrence with my experience.

Rover you say "natural fibres" are good.....surely you are not including cotton here......like writing a death warrant for anyone going BC and weather turning bad!
    i was not refering to cotton
    Are there any paranoids in the audience tonight?

james

with a bottokm layer of some form, a good mid-layer and a good jacket, you shouldn't really get cold in any layer.

Does everyone else normally wear 3 layers?

3 or more for me depending on the temps.

Beginner Snowatcher

i know this is a bit different, but i got some full leg padded pants from planet altitude, (lots of brands and different styles out there) but they keep me super warm, and you have the bonus of padded knees, hips and tail bone!

Advanced Snowatcher

Originally posted by John Deere:
    3 or more for me depending on the temps.
    yup ditto for me......if its -25 outside 3 layers wont keep me warm enough - gotta go one more

I tend to use lighter layers and more of them to help regulate temps....especially on those freezing mornings and warm afternoons we sometimes get in oz.

james

JD what do you do with the layers when you take them off?

By the way I don't know that I've skied in anything quite that cold before.

Extreme Snowatcher

Backpack
    Mad Respect