Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermals

Legolas

I have a super fine icebreaker that is also just a really pretty top. I also bought a slightly thicker grade for cold days. My coat, Orage, is thin but very warm.

Even in -13 in Japan, I was super duper warm with both layers under my coat. In Thredbo last year I only wore the thin one under my coat and stayed well toasty with pit zips and the neck open!

Suffice to say, it depends where you are skiing and how physically hard you work I guess!

p.s. I wear skins on my legs, though in Japan I had skins and thermals.

Legolas
    Do you find wearing skins (I assume snow skins?):
    1. Help recovery like they claim to?
    2. Are not warm enough for Australian ski conditions?
    cheers

Legolas
    I have also considered getting snow skins for the legs but don't think they would be warm enough..but my pants are pretty warm they have great lining on the inside + and i get hot easily..
    also, how are the skins with absorbing and holding in sweat? can u feel the cold sweat when sitting on chair lift or not moving around?

Legolas

aami,

I just have sport skins, but the staff at Snowbound tell me that the only difference is the colour of the stitching.

Yes, I absolutely find they help recovery both at the snow and the gym (now that I am a super hot gym junkie ). Seriously though, Mr Legs had a much harder recovery after his first day skiing (without skins) than me, and he was much fitter than me last year.

I have only worn skins and my SOS pants in oz, and if anything, get a little hot on the bluebird days.

re the last question...I don't sweat so wouldn't know!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

...but when I glow, I haven't noticed feeling cold on the lifts. The only time I really notice it is when you actually come in from the snow and your muscles start to cool down, so you get chilly but you're supposed to leave them on. I think Kaz takes hers off, has a warm shower and then puts them back on for recovery. I just try to keep them on for an hour or so, then have a hot bath.

I do recommend skins.

Icebreaker... love them to bits. The best part is there are many different weights to choose from, so you can find one to match just how "hot" a person you are... I wear the pretty ones. vest/singlet t-shirt long sleeve light ones all yr round summer and winter depending onthe day. Never been too hot, never been too cold.
    Love the socks. Mind you I am not a sweaty kinda person

I get cold if I wear skins on the slopes, but put them on as soon as I get home
    come on, just SNOW!

actually I emailed skins and asked them about the difference between ski and sport and got this very long answer:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Skins™ products,

To answer your question for you,

The main difference between the Sport & Snow is that the Sport has more seams going down the leg, which have been designed to wrap & support key muscle groups to reduce muscle movement & focus the direction of the muscle. The wrapping effect & specific compression also dramatically reduce muscle vibration resulting in less soft tissue damage & muscle soreness. The combination of muscle wrapping with BioAcceleration Technology™ is proven to reduce (DOMS) & accelerate recovery time.

The garments are made out of exactly the same fabric, the snow are brushed on the inside and this process makes the garment feel a little warmer against the skin. There is less muscle wrapping seams at the bottom part of the leg to avoid interference with ski boots.

Skins™ are unique in their combination of features, which work better than any single component.

The key is in Skins™ revolutionary BioAcceleration Technology™ and the features that are built into the smart fabric of all Skins™ products.

Benefits include:
    • reducing lactic acid build-up, increasing muscle oxygenation and enhancing circulation;
    • focusing muscle power;
    • drawing moisture away from the skin;
    • optimising body temperature in warm or cool conditions;
    • preventing odour through antibacterial treatments;
    • providing sun safety with 50+ UV protection.

Skins™ is body-moulded gradient compression performance equipment with built-in BioAcceleration Technology™ which will enhance your performance in training, competition and recovery.

The future of technical wear is engineered gradient compression. When compression is engineered to apply a balanced and accurate surface pressure over specific body parts, it triggers an acceleration of blood flow. This increases oxygen delivery to working muscles to enhance their performance.

The circulation improvements also help the body to eliminate lactic acid and other metabolic wastes. The combination of these effects allows you to work at a higher rate for longer.

The improved oxygenation is most marked in recovery from exercise. As a result, muscle repair is accelerated, with a greater effect if your Skins™ are worn for longer, The best effects on delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), which can last for more than 48 hours, are seen after 8 hours during which time pain, muscle weakness and alertness are dramatically improved.

Skins™ are unique in their combination of features, which work better than any single component.
    BioAcceleration Technology™ is a term trademarked by Skins™ to refer to the benefits incorporated with engineered gradient compression.

The future of technical wear is engineered gradient compression. When compression is engineered to apply a balanced and accurate surface pressure over specific body parts, it triggers an acceleration of blood flow. This increases oxygen delivery to working muscles to enhance their performance.

The circulation improvements also help the body to eliminate lactic acid and other metabolic wastes. The combination of these effects allows you to work at a higher rate for longer.

The improved oxygenation is most marked in recovery from exercise. As a result, muscle repair is accelerated, with a greater effect if your Skins™ are worn for longer, The best effects on delayed onset muscle soreness (which can last for more than 48 hours) are seen after 8 hours during which time pain, muscle weakness and alertness are dramatically improved.

Skins™ snow tops and tights have been developed, tested and proven to help you ski harder, for longer and recover faster. The engineered gradient compression provided by Skins™ increases your performance through greater muscle support, enhanced circulation and improved body temperature optimisation.

All skiers and snowboarders will have experienced that burning sensation in their legs after a long run. Wearing Skins™ snow while you ski or snowboard will help eliminate that burn, reduce muscle fatigue and minimise muscle injury. Skins™ snow also keep your muscles warm and wick perspiration away from your skin keeping you dry and comfortable.

A second pair of Skins™ snow is beneficial to wear after the sun sets to help your body recover while you party or sleep ensuring you'll be fresh and ready to hit the hill again the next day.

I hope that this helps to answer your question for you,

Originally posted by james:
    JD what do you do with the layers when you take them off?

By the way I don't know that I've skied in anything quite that cold before.
    Well, when BC I throw them in the pack, if in a resort (I find resort skiing far easier to predict what I need in the morning and don't often change) I either whack it in the pack or sometimes in a bumbag....If I am not carrying either, I just sweat!
    *insert witty comment here*

Legolas

hooley dooley skichic! thanks for that info (which would have been good when snowbound had their sale on last week! I was just thinking I'd go back and say "your staff told me there's no diff and I would have bought them at 20% off", however I have just realised that it wasn't the staff that said that now...was it Kaz...

Reading it has made me realise I do get impressions around my shins from the stitching due to boot pressure. It's not painful, but could be more comfy without it.

Legolas

tambo...they do socks?

I bought a pair of of ice breaker ski socks yesterday [img]graemlins/skier.gif[/img] nice and warm [img]smile.gif[/img]

Intermediate Snowatcher

got a deal on altica polypropolene thermals from a Katmandu store today.Any 3 items for $60(long sleeved T,short sleeved T or longjohn.Will they survive a wash I wonder!

Best Polyprop thermals I have used are a brand called "hot chilli's" from Canada. Only got em cos on the plane on the way over me and the missus realised we left ours in the dryer [img]graemlins/big_laugh.gif[/img]

But they are warm as and don't hold a stench....never seen em in oz tho :(
    *insert witty comment here*

karen97

Originally posted by Legolas:
    hooley dooley skichic! thanks for that info (which would have been good when snowbound had their sale on last week! I was just thinking I'd go back and say "your staff told me there's no diff and I would have bought them at 20% off", however I have just realised that it wasn't the staff that said that now...was it Kaz...

Reading it has made me realise I do get impressions around my shins from the stitching due to boot pressure. It's not painful, but could be more comfy without it.
    Probably was me, thats what I was told by Spertscene in Mac Cent

karen97

Originally posted by John Deere:
    Best Polyprop thermals I have used are a brand called "hot chilli's" from Canada. Only got em cos on the plane on the way over me and the missus realised we left ours in the dryer [img]graemlins/big_laugh.gif[/img]

But they are warm as and don't hold a stench....never seen em in oz tho :(
    I have Hot Chili socks, they are warm as toast but they stank royally!

Advanced Snowatcher

Originally posted by claydough:
    got a deal on altica polypropolene thermals from a Katmandu store today.Any 3 items for $60(long sleeved T,short sleeved T or longjohn.Will they survive a wash I wonder!
    altica work fine

used them in Japan -13 deg and my ski pants are just a shell
    You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.

TB

Originally posted by skijacski:
    The womens are on special!

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...TS_bcs_CWX0015
    You are evil as previously mentioned, I just bought a pair but the #@$% shipping cost me nearly as much as the skins. Still prob cheaper than here and Ive wanted some that have at least a little thermal protection anyway. My +1 has the sport skins and thinks they are the greatest thin ever. I have resisted as I can be a bit of a cold frog so wasn't ready to give up the thermals.

skijacski

TB, you get together with a few friends and buy a few it then reduces the price of shipping to 18bucks as we bought 5 pairs. They are much better than the aust skins, warmer and I feel much more efficient for the legs.

Arrived in 3 days.

icebreaker are the only way to go if you plan on living in them for more than 2 days. Synthetics are great if you can wash them but if you can't prepare to lose sleep due to your own stench.
    Layering with good quality gear is the key.
    Turns low, skins slow

Originally posted by Legolas:
    tambo...they do socks?
    They do great socks in a number of different weights, including ski and board socks.
    Love the every day and hiking socks... not the ski ones.. too thick.

And they do great undies and singlets too.... and glove liners..... and now kids wool thermals...!...grab a catalogue
    come on, just SNOW!

Legolas

wool undies? I've heard of having an itch to scratch, but...