Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Volkl AC30's

Originally posted by Taxman:
    Caveat. Off-piste and in ungroomed, phat skis rock. On groomed and hardpack my preference is still for 75mm or less.
    Sure, 75-mm would be my "preference" on hardpack and groomed, but I would only ski that exclusively if the off piste really s.ucked (gnarly freeze/thaw cycle (now??).

But phat skis don't s.uck on the hardpack.

edit: [email protected] this a.nal swear filter!!!

[size="1"][ 13.08.2007, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: John Deere ][/size]
    *insert witty comment here*

Originally posted by John Deere:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KL.:
    Rednut is absolutely right ... Phat skis rock

The Mantra's are excellent All Mountain ski's, unless you want to do downhill racing ... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Actually there're the best All Mountain ski that I have used, sofar ... [img]graemlins/skier.gif[/img]
    Eh-hem....WHO is right????? </font>[/QUOTE]Me, with a credit to you
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer!

Advanced Snowatcher

Yep, Rednut and JD

I found myself always looking to go off piste every chance I could with Fat ski's. Especially as the most challenging terrain is always off piste. Actually, at TC I probably spent 80 to 90% of my time off piste.

Bumps were no problem, either, with the Fat ski's.

I find that they provide a very solid under foot platform to ski on.

Interesting ... There performance was so good that I will probably only ever use fat ski's, from now on.

When I go sking again, I would like to try the Katarma's in a 165 or 170. They are 111mm under foot.

One thing required with fat ski's is that your turn initiation (toe unweighting) and lift (tail unweighting) need to be executed a little better.

Fat's rock [img]graemlins/skier.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/skier.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/skier.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ 13.08.2007, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: KL. ][/size]

Advanced Snowatcher

Guys, are they called Phat's or Fat's?

Phats (With credit to Dr Wood Duck)
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Podlettte

Having skied on some fatter skis (miss demeanours) on and off piste doing carve, short and medium radius turns in Niseko and swapping for 1 run to some 76mm skis to do some short turns, it makes a huge difference to the speed you swap edges.

I ski AC3's which are 74mm waist, and ski off piste with them here in Aus and cope just fine.

Silence

THis thread reminds me that some guy had Armada ARG's in thredbo when i was there in July.. reverse camber monsters - sidecut: 125-135-133-134-120

[size="1"][ 13.08.2007, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Silence ][/size]

Advanced Snowatcher

I use 76 under foot for everything (groomers or off piste) except fresh, for which I'll get 94mm under my feet. If the fresh gets skiied off, it's not too bad getting caught out with 94's, but if it's not fresh I tend to leave the 94's...

Going from 76 to 94 kinda feels like you're doing ballet wearing ships as shoes at first, but in deep fresh this becomes a fairly apt analogy as on mountainous, white-capped seas, the float is so much better on a big ship and you feel much more confident!

A mate has AC30's and he loves them! I've skiied with him on most types of snow and they seem to
    revel in all sorts of conditions.
    LIFE: IS something I do when I can't go SKIING...

Fresheez

You want phat just grab a board and be done with it..............already. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Podlettte:
    I ski AC3's which are 74mm waist, and ski off piste with them here in Aus and cope just fine.
    I don't want to cope, I wanna go hard!!!

You can do everything on 74's you can do on 95's but sometimes its more fun on 95's

Podlettte

For you it's more fun, doesn't mean it is for everyone [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, I am a big each to their own advocate, and a don't knock it till you try it man too

I am a veritable cliche treasure trove!

Advanced Snowatcher

Go the Phaty's ...

Seriously, JD is absolutely right. You can do everything on 74mm that you can do on 96mm ski's, but, sometimes the Phat's are more fun [img]smile.gif[/img]

They do allow you to do all the things the snow boarders do and more ...

Having fun on the snow ... that's what we're talkin'bout
    [img]graemlins/skier.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ 15.08.2007, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: KL. ][/size]

Originally posted by KL.:
    .... You can do everything on 74mm that you can do on 96mm ski's, but, sometimes the Phat's are more fun....
    KL, you are seriously wrong and as some newbie may rely on information posted on this board I cannot let that statement go unchallanged.

I am yet to see a phat ski (or a mid phat or that matter) win a WC race. If you ski solely on-piste, which is what the majority of skiers do, you do not need a phat ski. I'm not in Dr Wood Duck's camp in saying phat skis are ghey, however, I will say that the majority of skiers on phat skis are really [email protected]/ gapers/ jongs/ fashion statement victims. Alternatively, they may have serious balance issues and need phat skis to stay upright.

If you ski off-piste, get a phatty. If you mix it up, get a mid-phat. If you stay on-piste stay skinney. If you are a tragic (like me) build a quiver and always have the right ski for the occasion.

that is not an entirely fair statement taxy... i will dispute it properly when i have time
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer!

Advanced Snowatcher

Yes please Rednut ... would luv to hear your explanation. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sounds funny Taxman ... it actually reads that skiers on phat ski's are now in the same camp as boaders ... that is having fun riding the snow ... interesting, excellent [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yes, you are absolutely right, Phat ski's are not a downhill racing ski.
    They are an All Mountain ski.
    They are not for everybody, because they are not a carve ski and (at this stage) will not help the skier with their turns. Actually, I would say that if someone was not stable on 74mm then they would be less stable on 96mm.

Its good to have friendly conversations and discussions ... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ 15.08.2007, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: KL. ][/size]

Phat skis with little side cut are very easy to ski because they side slip very easily. This is how the majority of people ski(i.e. very few skiers actually carve their turns). Does this mean that they are good to ski? Well no actually, because it simply means that most skiers on phat skis with low to intermediate skill levels have diminished edging skills and are now skiing with less control than they did previously when they were skiing narrower skis.

Phat skis with a larger sidecut (eg Metrone, AC4, Mantra) are not skied by intermediates because they cannot be sideslipped easily. These skis require a good dynamic skiing technique.

KL, I actually find your comment re phat skis being in the same camp as boarders scary and most likely prophetically true. A lot of angst throw at boarders in the past has arisen form collisions where boarders have hit skiers because the borders have not had the same level of control as skiers (due to lower edging ability). With phat skis having the most steeze, the call in a year or two will be "I was cleaned up by an out of control skier on phat twinnies" or the like.

Please ski the ski appropriate for the conditions and your ability and not what fashion dictates.

Advanced Snowatcher

Thanks Taxman ...

As I said earlier, Volkl Mantra's are excellent phat ski's as are AC3's and AC4's (not phat), but I did not really like the AC40's, because (for me) they are too stiff in the toe ... I do not ski fast (just not into speed) but I do like to ski down all slopes the Mountain/Basin has on offer ...

[size="1"][ 15.08.2007, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: KL. ][/size]

Taxman does raise some quite valid points, I have never seen a racer win on 95's (or 74's for that matter!) and I like to ski phats with a radius no greater than 20m so I can still get an edge on piste.

I also reckon that if you are not a decent skier on 75- skis, you should not be using phats as they ARE BAD FOR TECHNIQUE DEVELOPMENT!

I would never go for a lesson on phats, I would be wasting my money (although I have done it due to lending my m666's to someone last year due to a core shot on their skis! Special case, was not a waste, but did detract from my ability to perform the exercises as well as my companions!)

Having said all that, I find phats (<20m radius) incredibly fun and versatile! See cliche post above

really enjoyed the ski demo on the weekend found skis that carved superbly through the soft stuff, but my goodness my legs ached after a while...and had to ask myself... do I really want to ski this stuff that often?
    come on, just SNOW!