Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volkl AC30's

I must admit, the way my quiver of skis has grown, its a little top heavy with mid-fats. I really need a ski for Masters racing.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SA

SL?

Silence

Originally posted by John Deere:
    Why did you buy skis that are close to the same dimensions as your current skis?
    I would have thought AC30s would ski much differently to B2s? cetainly for edge hold anyway

SA

I think JD's point is that they are quite similar widths and produce similar radius turns.

Perhpas Yeti has realised the B2s are an ordinary ski (not crap, not special, just ordinary) and the AC30s are a replacement, rather than a quiver-building purchase.

Advanced Snowatcher

I have just been sking on Volkl Mantra's (170 cms) and they are definitely a nice ski. They are a very good all mountain ski and especially good in chopped up snow and powder. The Mantra allows you to ride a shorter ski purely because they are 96mm under foot. Would have liked to have tried the Katarma's, 111mm under foot, but didn't get around to it.

Have skied on AC3's and AC4's and they are nice skies. For me, they are nice and progressive in the toe and I much preferred them to the AC40's which are much stiffer and have more carve.

[size="1"][ 12.08.2007, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: KL. ][/size]

Originally posted by Silence:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by John Deere:
    Why did you buy skis that are close to the same dimensions as your current skis?
    I would have thought AC30s would ski much differently to B2s? cetainly for edge hold anyway </font>[/QUOTE]If I had B2's and I wanted better edge hold I would be looking for something sub 70 under foot.

Sure they will ski a bit differently, but they suit the same conditions, not quiver building at all.
    *insert witty comment here*

Podlettte

Skis of the same dimension with different flex won't ski the same in my experience, so I'd disagree that it's not quiver building. It's not a lightning leap but it's a difference

Silence

thinking out loud here, but doesn't stiffness of the ski contribute more to edgehold than the width?

SA

Originally posted by Silence:
    thinking out loud here, but doesn't stiffness of the ski contribute more to edgehold than the width?
    Yep. But it's torsional stiffness as much as longitudinal flex/stiffness.

[size="1"][ 12.08.2007, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: SA ][/size]

Silence

^ fair enough then

SA

Whether it's quiver building or not is something only Yeti can answer. And if he's happy with them, then that's what's important.

I guess some of us are thinking that if we were in the same position we wouldn't necessarily have made the same buying decision.

Advanced Snowatcher

Try Volkl Mantra's, you will like them ... I did ... excellent ski.
    Their construction includes 2 layers of titanium for torsional stiffness, but the Toe of the ski has nice progressive stiffness [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/skier.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ 13.08.2007, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: KL. ][/size]

Podlettte

They are like waterskis though! Only good for OS pow I would have thought...?

bollocks...

Phat skis rock!
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer!

Thats my line!

I'm just borrowing it...
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer!

Advanced Snowatcher

Rednut is absolutely right ... Phat skis rock

The Mantra's are excellent All Mountain ski's, unless you want to do downhill racing ... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Actually there're the best All Mountain ski that I have used, sofar ... [img]graemlins/skier.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ 13.08.2007, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: KL. ][/size]

Originally posted by Rednut:
    bollocks...

Phat skis rock!
    Caveat. Off-piste and in ungroomed, phat skis rock. On groomed and hardpack my preference is still for 75mm or less.

BTW Nutter, the Stormie XXLs rock (off-piste and in ungroomed).
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

JD & I were quite happily skiing the groomed orchard last monday on fat skis...

Originally posted by KL.:
    Rednut is absolutely right ... Phat skis rock

The Mantra's are excellent All Mountain ski's, unless you want to do downhill racing ... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Actually there're the best All Mountain ski that I have used, sofar ... [img]graemlins/skier.gif[/img]
    Eh-hem....WHO is right?????