Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

yes.. its been HELL!!! they say if you can stay friends/in a relationship or married during 4th year chiro you will be friends/together forever!

[size="1"][ 14. June 2009, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Officer Schmenz ][/size]
    ~Queen of Team edribble™ ~
    www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

azkaban

Schmenz. I leave for OS in about 2 weeks so if I am gunna get one, unfortuantely waiting isn't an option ;-( Having said that I'm not going to make a rash decision and get the first one I find cheap (have found a few well priced ones already) If I cant find one I wont get one!
    The cheapest I have found the HDR XR500E, is about $1399 + $35/$45 postage. This model is WITHOUT the GPS option which I really dont need nor want. The same model (with GPS) is $2499 on the sony website. Quite a differemce!!

Intermediate Snowatcher

wat uni schmenz
    Sun sun go away!Let the snowmake its way!!!!

Canon HF11....smaller and with Flash memory, not HDD
    *insert witty comment here*

azkaban

You think flash memory is better than HHD JD?

azkaban Don't forget to TRS the amount so you get the GST back.

Flash memory is always better, or SSD hard drive (no moving parts)

flash memory is better coz it cant break.. but you pay a lot for storage media as HD goes through it hell fast. and i think the largest atm is 32g

az.. dont forget you are comparing cheap prices with a sony price.. sony = rrp.. normal shops are heaps less than that.the model with the gps would only be about 2/300 more in a normal shop.

im at mac uni

azkaban

What is the largest flash memory out at the moment. Surely not 120gb like the HDD???

I heard about that yeti. WHat do I have to do ??WHat is TRS?

Advanced Snowatcher

Tourist Refund Scheme

Just google TRS Australia and you'll get all the details
    You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.

Podlettte

mmmm HD flash cam with gps would work so nicely with places in iPhoto09

Get your GST back at the airport, you'll need your camera and receipt, this is after you go through immigration.

Careful though I heard some people say they record it on your passport file and if you are caught with it when you're back and don't declare it, you're in trouble .. lol

I rarely claim these days, I always run out of time as I always check in an hour before my flight lol ....

you can claim when u leave.. doesnt matter if you bring it back..

if it was over 900 and got it tax and DUTY free you would have to pay duty.. otherwise it doesnt matter

azkaban

Thanks for all the info guys

Advanced Snowatcher

They record it as part of your duty free allowance. As OS said $900. Or pooled as a family.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4728
    You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.

azkaban

Thanks Dr D.
    Does anyone know customs official definition of family? Someone you live with at the same address?? My partner and I are travelling together but are a same sex couple and not sure wether this is considered "family"

Originally posted by azkaban:
    What is the largest flash memory out at the moment. Surely not 120gb like the HDD???

I heard about that yeti. WHat do I have to do ??WHat is TRS?
    32g on the HF11 gives you about 6hrs footage....plus you cad add an SDHC card (32g I believe)......if you shot 12 hrs before editing you are disorganised in my books.....or going on a veeerrrry long trip, in which case, get more SDHC cards!!

HDD's can break when you fall....flash memory is faster and more durable.

azkaban

Cheers JD. Maybe the flash memory is a go-er. I was a bit worried about being "disorganised" and coming home with 30hrs or more (going away for 5 weeks) of unedited raw footage on the HDD.

That is close to 1 hour a day of footage, assuming you want to sleep/party at night (meaning no fottage time) that is recording close to 10% of your trip......why waste it behind a camera, just film the interesting bits

jd.. cant remember was urs standard def or high def?

azkaban

JD I worked as a videographer for 7 years and have been known to spend a bit too much time behind the camera, but as you said 10% is way too much. That time could be much better spent doing more impoortnat things like....ummm... drinking!!